Quiz 1: Testing Your Knowledge of Force & Inertia

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving force diagrams and resolving vector components. The first person mentions the force of gravity and asks for confirmation on their solution. The second person provides their answer and explains their method using trigonometry. The third person asks for help with the bonus part and receives guidance on how to approach it by using Newton's second law.
Ab e r z o m
http://physicsed.buffalostate.edu/c...anics/PDF files/4-FP-Inertia/Tests/Quiz 1.pdf

1) I don't know how to do this, but I know there is the force of gravity by the Earth in the force diagram..

2) For this one I got the answer
Fx=7.5N [I did 1/2(15N) which equals 7.5 N]
Fy=13N [I took my x component 7.5N and I did 7.5sqrt3=13N]
Did I solve this problem right??

3) How do you write an equation for this diagram?

Can you tell me if I did the Bonus right?

T1cos(60)=T2
T2sin(60)= 3kg

T1sin(60)=3kg
I divided both sides by sin(60) to make T1 by itself so
T1sin(60)/sin(60)=3.464
SO T1=3.464

I took T1=3.464 and plug it into T1cos(60)=T2
3.464cos(60)=T2
T2=1.232

So I don't know if I got that one right??
My answer is T1=3.464 and T2=1.232

Please help me..I really need this. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
1) There is also a normal force and a kinetic frictional force.
2) You need to resolve your vector into components using trig.
3) The system seems to be in equilibrium, so

[tex]F_{xnet}=0[/tex]

and

[tex]F_{ynet}=0[/tex]

Start from there and re-think your strategy for the bonus part. For one, tension is a force so you can't measure it in kg...Remember Newton's second law.

I can confirm that your calculations for questions 1 and 2 are correct. You correctly identified the force of gravity as the downward force in the force diagram and used the correct equations to find the components of the force.

For question 3, to write an equation for the diagram, you can use the formula for Newton's Second Law: F=ma. In this case, the force (F) is the tension in the rope (T) and the mass (m) is 3kg. So the equation would be T=3kg*a.

For the bonus question, your calculations are mostly correct. However, for T1cos(60)=T2, you should use the value of T1 that you calculated earlier (3.464), not the sin(60) value. So the correct equation would be 3.464cos(60)=T2. And your final answer for T2 should be 3.464, not 1.232.

I hope this helps and clarifies any confusion. Keep up the good work in your studies of force and inertia!

FAQ: Quiz 1: Testing Your Knowledge of Force & Inertia

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the strength or intensity of a push or pull acting on an object.

2. How is force measured?

Force is measured in units called newtons (N) using a device called a spring scale or a force meter.

3. What is inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. It is a property of matter that causes objects to stay at rest or in motion unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How does mass affect an object's inertia?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater its inertia. This means that more force is required to change the state of motion of a more massive object compared to a less massive object.

5. What is the relationship between force and acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is directly proportional to acceleration. This means that when the force acting on an object increases, its acceleration also increases, and vice versa.

Back