Qustions about credit hours in Physics and Math

• Thread starter Singlino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the credit hours system for undergraduate physics and math courses in American universities typically includes recitation sections which are required and counted in the credit hours for the course. The duration of recitation sections may vary and is not always equal to the number of credit hours for the course. The relationship between laboratory sections and credit hours may vary as well.
Singlino
Hello
I have some questions about the credit hours system in physics and math undergraduate courses in the american universities since I am planning to do my undergraduate degree there

For the introductory physics sequence, what is the duration of the recitation sections which are supposed to go with the courses, and are they counted in the credit hours of the course or not?

for example an introductory physics I , say 4 credits
does that 4 mean on average 3 hours of lecture and 1 hour for recitation per week? or recitation is not counted?
(I am ignoring the lab and I am assuming that it has a separate 1 Cr say)

how about introductory math courses, i see the universities listing only calculus I 4 Cr., calculus II 4Cr...etc without any information about the recitations classes or their durations

some information would be greately appreciated
thnx

Dina

Physics news on Phys.org
As near as I understand, a credit or unit for a SEMESTER is for term length of 18 weeks of instruction, the number of instructional class time hours per 1 week. What I am really not sure about is how the laboratory sections relates to this. Sometimes there is a designation of "lab hours arranged", or other times "0" units (meaning credits), or still other times you will see a number of credits designated for the laboratory sections.

A simple general example is for some university Math 1000 course on a semester schedule of 4 units - This would be a math course meeting for 4 hours per week and the course lasts 18 weeks. Does it have any laboratory section? Maybe, but someone else could explain that part better.

ok let me rephrase my question, if an introductory physics course is for 4 Cr. say (and assume that it has a separate lab for 1 Cr must be taken as a corequisite) the question now is , those 4 Cr. are only for lecturing by the professor without including the recitation classes hours (which i assume should be something like 1 or 2 hrs per week) ?

D.

Singlino said:
ok let me rephrase my question, if an introductory physics course is for 4 Cr. say (and assume that it has a separate lab for 1 Cr must be taken as a corequisite) the question now is , those 4 Cr. are only for lecturing by the professor without including the recitation classes hours (which i assume should be something like 1 or 2 hrs per week) ?

D.

Uh nope. At 95% of US universities, recitation enrollment is REQUIRED in the lecture portion of the course, and since it is compulsory, the credit for it is included in the number of credit hours the lecture section gives (hence, for a 4 credit calculus lecture section, you get 4 credits for attending the lecture AND discussions together).

Oh and credits doesn't always equal how many hours a week the class meets. At my university, a class could meet for 6 hours (2 hours x 3 times a week) and still only be worth 4 credits. So the two are not always synonymous.

Related to Qustions about credit hours in Physics and Math

1. What are credit hours for a physics or math course?

Credit hours for a physics or math course refer to the amount of time a student spends in class per week. This typically includes lecture time as well as lab or discussion sections. One credit hour typically equals one hour of class per week for a semester.

2. How many credit hours should I take for a physics or math major?

The number of credit hours required for a physics or math major can vary depending on the specific program and university. Generally, a major will require around 120 credit hours, with a mix of core courses, electives, and general education requirements.

3. Can I transfer credit hours from a physics or math course taken at another institution?

Yes, most universities will allow transfer credit for courses taken at another institution. However, the course must be equivalent to the one offered at the university, and the student must have earned a passing grade.

4. How do credit hours affect my GPA?

Credit hours do not directly affect a student's GPA. Instead, the grade received in a course will determine the number of quality points earned, which are then used to calculate the GPA. However, a higher number of credit hours can result in a heavier course load and potentially impact a student's ability to maintain a high GPA.

5. Can I earn credit hours for independent study or research in physics or math?

Yes, many universities offer independent study or research courses that can be taken for credit hours. These courses usually require a faculty supervisor and a project proposal, and the number of credit hours earned will depend on the scope and depth of the project.