R.I.P. Franz Beckenbauer 1945-2024

• Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date
pinball1970
Gold Member
An icon in football as a player and manger.

His ability was on another level and broke the rules. Defenders defending.
He had finesse, read the play in a telepathic way (to normal players)
He could dance past the best players in the way like an attacking midfielder would do.
Bobby Charlton, Eusebio, Pele, Cruyff. That level. Genius.

1704803633200.png

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42
Physics news on Phys.org
He even looked composed and elegant playing with a dislocated shoulder!

Many years ago I played for our work team in an 11-a-side game. The guy who picked the team gave us all an ironic or otherwise double-barrelled surname. I was down on the team-sheet as Beckenbauer-K...! Perhaps because I rarely broke sweat!!

Likes pinball1970
PeroK said:
He even looked composed and elegant playing with a dislocated shoulder
There is a video of that. I will find some of his best parts.

Related to R.I.P. Franz Beckenbauer 1945-2024

What were Franz Beckenbauer's most significant contributions to football?

Franz Beckenbauer, known as "Der Kaiser," revolutionized the role of the sweeper (libero) in football. He led Germany to World Cup victories as both a player (1974) and a manager (1990). His innovative style of play and leadership on and off the field left an indelible mark on the sport.

How did Franz Beckenbauer earn the nickname "Der Kaiser"?

Franz Beckenbauer earned the nickname "Der Kaiser" (The Emperor) due to his elegant style of play, commanding presence on the field, and leadership qualities. The nickname also reflects his influence and stature within the world of football.

What were some of Franz Beckenbauer's notable achievements?

Franz Beckenbauer's notable achievements include winning the FIFA World Cup as both a player (1974) and a manager (1990), securing multiple Bundesliga titles with Bayern Munich, and being named European Footballer of the Year twice (1972, 1976). He also played a crucial role in Germany's successful bid to host the 2006 FIFA World Cup.

How did Franz Beckenbauer impact the development of football tactics?

Franz Beckenbauer was instrumental in popularizing the sweeper (libero) role, which allowed for greater fluidity and flexibility in defense and attack. His ability to read the game, distribute the ball, and join the attack transformed defensive strategies and influenced future generations of players and coaches.

What is Franz Beckenbauer's legacy in football?

Franz Beckenbauer's legacy in football is that of a pioneering player, visionary coach, and influential football executive. His contributions to the game have been recognized globally, and he remains a symbol of excellence and innovation in football. His impact is felt not only through his achievements but also through the many players and coaches he inspired.

Back