Rad/s vs rev/min- label question

• Thread starter GreatEscapist
  • Start date
In summary, According to equations for angular, linear velocity and acceleration, radians/second is the standard unit. In physics, using this convention is generally accepted and recommended. However, in engineering, there may be various conventions used such as RPM, rad/s, Rev/s, and CPS. It is important to be aware of these differences and adapt accordingly.
GreatEscapist
According to the equations for angular, linear velocity and acceleration, it is in rad/s. So, for my own mindset, I always change everything to rad/s. (As opposed to rev/min or something) And now it's a habit, like reducing fractions. I didn't understand what we were doing very well for some reason, so that may be part of it. We don't do much work in my physics class, so it's easy to get lost. :P
Is this bad to do? Or at least annoying in the real science world? Because if it is unnecessary or annoying, then I shall stop. What do physicists/engineers/whatever use? My teacher said he wasn't sure, but the answer book took both answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using everything in common units is fine in almost all walks of life, especially textbook cases.

In engineering you get all sorts of very odd numbering conventions. You will find one company always uses RPM and others use rad/s. I've even seen Rev/s, and CPS used.

GreatEscapist said:
What do physicists/engineers/whatever use?

Almost without exception, physicists use radians/second. You probably can't go wrong in physics using this convention.

Related to Rad/s vs rev/min- label question

What is the difference between rad/s and rev/min?

Rad/s stands for radians per second, which is a unit of angular velocity. It measures the rate of change of angular displacement in radians over a period of time. Rev/min, on the other hand, stands for revolutions per minute and measures the number of full rotations made in one minute.

Which unit is more commonly used in scientific calculations?

In most scientific calculations, rad/s is the preferred unit of measurement for angular velocity. This is because it is a more universally applicable unit and can easily be converted to other units if needed. Rev/min is more commonly used in everyday situations, such as measuring the speed of a car's engine.

Why do we need to label rad/s and rev/min?

Labeling units is important in scientific research to ensure accuracy and consistency in measurements. Using the correct units also allows for easier understanding and communication of results between scientists and across different fields of study.

How do you convert between rad/s and rev/min?

To convert from rad/s to rev/min, you can use the formula rev/min = (rad/s * 60) / 2π. To convert from rev/min to rad/s, the formula is rad/s = (rev/min * 2π) / 60. It is important to note that these formulas are only applicable when converting between radians and full rotations.

Are there any other units of measurement for angular velocity?

Yes, there are other units of measurement for angular velocity such as degrees per second (deg/s) and revolutions per second (rev/s). However, these units are not as commonly used as rad/s and rev/min in scientific calculations.