Radiated power of electron in fusion device?

In summary, the conversation discusses Trubnikov's claim that magnetic fusion is impossible due to the power radiated by electrons, and the calculation for this power using the Larmor formula. The problem at hand asks to estimate the radiated power for a specific fusion device, ITER, and questions whether this result is useful. It is suggested to use Larmor's formula and calculate the velocity and acceleration of the electrons. The major and minor radii are important in determining the plasma volume, which is necessary for calculating the total number of electrons and the expected fusion power.
1a2

Homework Statement

Some time ago, an (in)famous paper by Trubnikov argued that magnetic fusion would be impossible because the power radiated by electrons would exceed any likely fusion power. He provided a very elaborate calculation, but the result was not greatly diffferent from the simple Larmor formula for the power radiated by an accelereated electron for v<<c. As an illustration, consider the large new fusion device ITER, under construction in France. Estimate the radiated power for a major radius of 6m, minor radius 2m, a field of 5T, density of 10^20/m^3 and 10KeV electron temperature. Is this result useful?

Homework Equations

P = \frac{q^2 a^2}{6\pi\epsilon_{0}c^3} (Larmor formula)

For Trubnikov's formula, I think it is equation (1) in the link below?
http://www-naweb.iaea.org/napc/phys...oceedings 1958/papers Vol31/Paper12_Vol31.pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if the problem wants me to calculate the answer using Larmor's formula or Trubnikov's formula. Since the acceleration is not given, I don't think I can use Larmor's formula. I also don't see how the major and minor radius values matter for either formula. Do I just plug-in the other values into equation (1) in that link?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with Trubnikov's formula, but you can certainly use Larmor's formula. You know the electron temperature, so you should be able to calculate the velocity. Since there is a magnetic field, you should be able to calculate the acceleration as they spiral around the magnetic field. You need the major and minor radii, since you need to know the plasma volume in order to calculate the total number of electrons, the total radiated power, and the total expected fusion power.

Related to Radiated power of electron in fusion device?

1. What is the radiated power of an electron in a fusion device?

The radiated power of an electron in a fusion device refers to the amount of energy emitted by an electron as it moves through the device. This energy can be in the form of electromagnetic radiation or heat.

2. How is the radiated power of an electron calculated in a fusion device?

The radiated power of an electron is calculated by multiplying the electron's charge by its velocity. This value is then squared and divided by the distance between the electron and the fusion device's core.

3. Why is the radiated power of an electron important in fusion research?

The radiated power of an electron is important in fusion research because it helps scientists understand the overall energy balance of the fusion device. It also provides insight into the behavior and interactions of particles within the device.

4. How does the radiated power of an electron affect the efficiency of a fusion device?

The radiated power of an electron can affect the efficiency of a fusion device by contributing to energy losses. This is because the energy emitted by the electron is not used for fusion reactions, which can decrease the overall energy output of the device.

5. Can the radiated power of an electron be controlled in a fusion device?

Yes, the radiated power of an electron can be controlled in a fusion device through various methods such as adjusting the electron's velocity or manipulating the magnetic field within the device. This allows scientists to optimize the device's performance and minimize energy losses due to radiation.