Radiation Induced Reduction of Fe3O4

In summary, the individual is doing an experiment to reduce iron oxide to bare iron using a blued rod, coconut oil, and ultraviolet light. The individual recommends pouring the mixture down the sink when finished as the only effects are positive.
Samson4
I'm doing a little experiment on reducing iron oxide back to bare iron. I'm going to use a blued rod, coconut oil and ultraviolet light.

Im using coconut oil because information from this site suggests that it is very transparent to uv light. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jspec/2013/540417/

I'm using uv light so that the bare metal layer created is very superficial. It also should allow me to prevent rusting because the fresh surface will still be oiled until I can get it in an oxygen free environment. I've reduced graphite oxide to graphite with uv light but never a metal.

Does this sound feasible? Are there commercial processes that are easily researched that would be more applicable to my needs?

Science news on Phys.org
Put the metal in a beaker? You get a material that is a strong acid, and then you stir it up a bunch until the oxygen is ripped from the iron and makes a solution with the acid. Add some oil or some petroleum jelly (Vaseline) after the reaction is done and it should be all right for a while. Be really careful because if you use nitric, sulfuric, hydrochloric, or citric acid it might produce fumes. If you treat the acid with ammonia after the reaction it will help neutralize the substance so the iron will not dissolve that much itself. When you are done, you can safely pour the mixture down the sink. In fact, the ammonia and the acids are commonly sold as drain cleaners. The only effects are positive. If you want to keep the Vaseline, go ahead, but you can quickly rub it all around the metal and it will form a very thin invisible oxide-proof layer. I would recommend puttting it in a clear airtight container and just in case you want to you can put a tiny lump of an alkali metal (preferably lithium) in with it and it will drop the oxygen level to a very low concentration.

Related to Radiation Induced Reduction of Fe3O4

1. What is "Radiation Induced Reduction of Fe3O4"?

Radiation Induced Reduction of Fe3O4 is a process in which the mineral magnetite (Fe3O4) is chemically reduced by exposure to ionizing radiation, such as X-rays, gamma rays, or alpha particles. This results in a change in the oxidation state of iron, from Fe3+ to Fe2+, and can lead to the formation of other minerals such as hematite (Fe2O3) or metallic iron (Fe).

2. What are the potential applications of Radiation Induced Reduction of Fe3O4?

The process of Radiation Induced Reduction of Fe3O4 has potential applications in various fields, including nuclear waste remediation, environmental remediation of heavy metals, and production of magnetic nanoparticles for use in biomedical and technological applications.

3. What factors influence the efficiency of Radiation Induced Reduction of Fe3O4?

The efficiency of Radiation Induced Reduction of Fe3O4 is influenced by several factors, including the type and intensity of radiation, the concentration and composition of the mineral, the presence of other minerals or compounds, and environmental conditions such as temperature and pH.

4. How is Radiation Induced Reduction of Fe3O4 studied and measured?

Radiation Induced Reduction of Fe3O4 can be studied and measured through various analytical techniques, such as X-ray diffraction, Mössbauer spectroscopy, and electron microscopy. These techniques can provide information about changes in the mineral structure, composition, and oxidation state, and can also help to identify any new minerals formed during the reduction process.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with Radiation Induced Reduction of Fe3O4?

While Radiation Induced Reduction of Fe3O4 has many potential applications, it is important to consider any potential risks associated with this process. Exposure to high levels of radiation can be hazardous to human health and the environment, and proper safety measures should be taken when working with radioactive materials. Additionally, the release of reduced metals or other byproducts into the environment should also be carefully monitored and controlled.