Radiation of Body: Is It True?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the emission of radiation from objects at different temperatures. The intensity of radiation is dependent on the temperature of the object, and at a constant temperature, there is a specific wavelength at which the energy emission is maximum. This is known as Wein's Displacement. The conversation also mentions Plank's law and the Ultraviolet Catastrophe, which are related concepts in understanding thermal radiation.
Karan Punjabi
Guys I have little doubt and I want you to rectify that Am I wrong or right. I think anybody at room temp or any temp emits each and every type of radiation but intensity of radiation is less for high wavelength or low wavelength waves at room temp and intensity is good enough for visible light. I am asking this on understanding of black body.

Science news on Phys.org
Karan Punjabi said:
Guys I have little doubt and I want you to rectify that Am I wrong or right. I think anybody at room temp or any temp emits each and every type of radiation but intensity of radiation is less for high wavelength or low wavelength waves at room temp and intensity is good enough for visible light. I am asking this on understanding of black body.
Intensity usually comes to picture only when the body is not diffuse. In that case body will have different intensities in different directions. I think what you are talking about is the distribution of thermal radiations over the electromagnetic spectrum when the body is at constant temperature. Let us consider a diffuse body for simplicity. A body at a certain temperature emits radiation over a wide range of wavelengths. But there will be a certain wavelength about which the energy emitted per unit area of the emitting body is maximum. Now if you increase the temperature of the body this wavelength, about which energy emission is maximum, decreases. This shift in wavelength associated with maximum energy radiation with an increase in temperature is called Wein's Displacement.

Likes Drakkith
benny_91 said:
Intensity usually comes to picture only when the body is not diffuse. In that case body will have different intensities in different directions. I think what you are talking about is the distribution of thermal radiations over the electromagnetic spectrum when the body is at constant temperature. Let us consider a diffuse body for simplicity. A body at a certain temperature emits radiation over a wide range of wavelengths. But there will be a certain wavelength about which the energy emitted per unit area of the emitting body is maximum. Now if you increase the temperature of the body this wavelength, about which energy emission is maximum, decreases. This shift in wavelength associated with maximum energy radiation with an increase in temperature is called Wein's Displacement.
Yeah i know Wein's law of displacement..but I want to ask that suppose I have a cell phone in my hand so would a normal object like cell phone would emit all types of radiations?

Karan Punjabi said:
Yeah i know Wein's law of displacement..but I want to ask that suppose I have a cell phone in my hand so would a normal object like cell phone would emit all types of radiations?
Yes. Though the rate at which hard gammas are emitted will be exceedingly low.

Google for Plank's law and the Ultraviolet Catastrophe.

Likes Karan Punjabi

Related to Radiation of Body: Is It True?

1. What is radiation of the body?

Radiation of the body refers to the release of energy in the form of electromagnetic waves or particles from the human body. This can occur naturally or as a result of exposure to external sources of radiation.

2. Is it harmful to be exposed to radiation from the body?

The level of harm from radiation of the body depends on the type and amount of radiation. Low levels of natural radiation from the body, such as heat and light, are not harmful. However, exposure to high levels of radiation, such as from X-rays or radioactive materials, can be harmful and should be limited.

3. How does the body produce radiation?

The body produces radiation through several natural processes, such as cellular metabolism, digestion, and even simply existing. These processes result in the emission of low levels of radiation in the form of heat and light.

4. Can radiation of the body cause cancer?

High levels of radiation exposure, such as from X-rays or radioactive materials, can increase the risk of developing cancer. However, the low levels of radiation produced by the body are not considered to be a significant risk for cancer development.

5. How can I protect myself from harmful radiation of the body?

To protect yourself from harmful levels of radiation, it is important to limit exposure to external sources of radiation, such as X-rays and radioactive materials. Additionally, maintaining a healthy lifestyle and avoiding unhealthy habits, such as smoking, can help reduce the risk of developing cancer from radiation exposure.