Radiation Pressure causing acceleration

In summary, a vertically pulsed laser with a power of 800 MW and duration of 220 ns is fired at a small 8 mg pellet at rest. The pulse hits the pellet at the center of its bottom side. The speed of light is 3 × 108 m/s and the acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2. If the radiation is completely absorbed, the maximum height the pellet reaches can be determined using the relation between energy and momentum of light. Alternatively, power can be related to force using the same relation as energy and momentum. Ultimately, the answer will depend on the accuracy of the given information and any other potential effects on the pellet.
jmm5872
A vertically pulsed laser fires a 800 MW pulse
of 220 ns duration at a small 8 mg pellet at
rest. The pulse hits the mass squarely in the
center of its bottom side.
The speed of light is 3 × 108 m/s and the
acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2.

If the radiation is completely absorbed
without other effects, what is the maximum
height the mass reaches?
Answer in units of μm.

Pressure*Area = Force = ma
F = dp/dt
p = E/c

I'm not even sure where to start. I guess I need to figure out the relation between Power and energy to get the momentum. From that I can get the force and then acceleration, etc...

Any hints would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any idea what the number should be? I gave it a try and my best attempt, from working out the net force on the pellet and the resulting acceleration then working out the distance kinematically. However, the h I get is very small due to the (comparatively) large mass and very short pulse time.

I'd like to know my answer was in the ballpark before I describe it so that I can help with confidence.

Cheers

jmm5872 said:
A vertically pulsed laser fires a 800 MW pulse
of 220 ns duration at a small 8 mg pellet at
rest. The pulse hits the mass squarely in the
center of its bottom side.
The speed of light is 3 × 108 m/s and the
acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2.

If the radiation is completely absorbed
without other effects, what is the maximum
height the mass reaches?
Answer in units of μm.

Pressure*Area = Force = ma
F = dp/dt
p = E/c

I'm not even sure where to start. I guess I need to figure out the relation between Power and energy to get the momentum. From that I can get the force and then acceleration, etc...

Any hints would be appreciated

There's a very simple relation between energy and momentum for light -- which you have given above anyway. You can use that without worrying about forces.

Power is just energy per unit time. If you really want forces, then note that force is momentum per unit time... so for light, the relation between power and force of a light beam is the same as the relation between energy and momentum of a light pulse.

Cheers -- sylas

FAQ: Radiation Pressure causing acceleration

What is radiation pressure?

Radiation pressure is the force exerted by electromagnetic radiation on an object. It is caused by the momentum of photons, which have no mass but carry energy and momentum.

How does radiation pressure cause acceleration?

Radiation pressure can cause acceleration when the object absorbs or reflects photons, leading to a change in its momentum. This change in momentum results in the object moving in a certain direction, thus causing acceleration.

What factors affect the amount of radiation pressure and resulting acceleration?

The amount of radiation pressure and resulting acceleration depends on the intensity and wavelength of the radiation, as well as the reflectivity and surface area of the object being acted upon.

Can radiation pressure cause significant acceleration in everyday objects?

Yes, radiation pressure can cause significant acceleration in everyday objects. For example, solar sails use radiation pressure from sunlight to propel spacecraft through space.

Are there any potential risks associated with radiation pressure causing acceleration?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with radiation pressure causing acceleration. In extreme cases, such as being exposed to high levels of radiation, it can cause damage to living organisms or sensitive equipment. However, at lower levels, radiation pressure is generally not harmful and is actually used in various technologies.