Radii of paths followed by particles in a magnetic field

In summary, the magnetic field needed to separate chlorine isotopes using a mass spectrometer is 1.2 T. The minimum potential difference through which the ions must be accelerated is 1.1 cm.
Jimmy25

Homework Statement

Chlorine has two stable isotopes, 35Cl and 37Cl. Chlorine gas which consists of singly ionized ions is to be separated into its isotopic components using a mass spectrometer. The magnetic field strength in the spectrometer is 1.2 T. What is the minimum value of the potential difference through which these ions must be accelerated so that the separation between them, after they complete their semicircular path, is 1.1 cm?

Homework Equations

r = mv/qB

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the difference in the radii of the semicircles I found the velocity of the particles to be 6.36*10^7 m/s which does not seem correct.

Even if I assume the velocity is correct how do I find the potential difference through which the particle was accelerated?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy25 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the difference in the radii of the semicircles I found the velocity of the particles to be 6.36*10^7 m/s which does not seem correct.
0.2c does seem too high to be correct. But without seeing your actual calculation, it is difficult to say where your mistake is. What did you have for r, m, q and B?

Even if I assume the velocity is correct how do I find the potential difference through which the particle was accelerated?
You can think of electric potential as the energy per unit charge gained by a charged particle. Which form of energy is related to velocity, and what is that relation?

Redbelly98 said:
You can think of electric potential as the energy per unit charge gained by a charged particle. Which form of energy is related to velocity, and what is that relation?

KE = 1/2mv2

So let V=KE/q

Now how do I determine the voltage required? the two particles do not have the same mass.

You can solve for v in terms of V, and substitute back into r = mv/qB. You will end up with r in terms of m, V, and other fixed parameters.

Ugghhhhh.

I don't get it. The two particles have different masses but yet I have to solve for a single potential difference.

I don't have an actual r value all I have is the difference. So I have to sub back into the equation I used to find the velocity of the particles. This gives an equation that I'm pretty sure cannot be solved and does not make much sense.

Jimmy25 said:
Ugghhhhh.

I don't get it. The two particles have different masses but yet I have to solve for a single potential difference.

I don't have an actual r value all I have is the difference. So I have to sub back into the equation I used to find the velocity of the particles. This gives an equation that I'm pretty sure cannot be solved and does not make much sense.
If you show what equation you get, I can tell you if it's right, wrong, or can or cannot be solved.

I tried to use latex but it got a little to crazy for me. A photo of my work is attached.

The solution I get for voltage I get is huge. I think something is wrong.

(I converted amu to kg for the masses of the particles and used e for the charges)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 865
That's pretty good, you're almost there, just a couple of problems to iron out:

1. Watch the units, the separation is not 1.1 meters.

2. The separation of the two charges is not simply equal to the difference in radii. Try drawing a picture; the two charges start from the same point and each travels 1/2 of a circle. What is their separation, in terms of radius or diameter, after going 1/2 way around the circle?

You nearly have it.

I still get a rather large number (9.11*104 V). Is this what I should expect?

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 971
9.22*104 V is not correct.

Everything looks good to me. Although I still don't see how the same potential difference can accelerate two particles of different masses to the same speed.

I am supposed to give my answer in MV so a large number is expected.

I got it! I went through the calculation again and found another minor error and everything worked out.

Thanks!

You're welcome, glad it worked out.

FAQ: Radii of paths followed by particles in a magnetic field

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region where a magnetic force can be observed. It is created by moving electric charges and is characterized by its direction and strength.

How do particles move in a magnetic field?

Charged particles, such as electrons, will experience a force when moving through a magnetic field. This force causes the particles to follow a curved path, with the direction of the curvature determined by the direction of the magnetic field.

What is the relationship between the radius of a particle's path and the strength of the magnetic field?

The radius of a particle's path is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This means that as the strength of the magnetic field increases, the radius of the particle's path will also increase.

How does the charge of a particle affect its path in a magnetic field?

The charge of a particle determines the direction of its path in a magnetic field. A positively charged particle will follow a path in the same direction as the magnetic field, while a negatively charged particle will follow a path in the opposite direction.

What factors can affect the radius of a particle's path in a magnetic field?

The radius of a particle's path can be affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the charge of the particle, and the speed of the particle. Additionally, the mass of the particle and the angle at which it enters the magnetic field can also play a role in determining the radius of its path.

Back