radioactive iodine - risk of exposure

Thygal21
Hello,

I recently had radioactive iodine treatment for thyroid cancer. Took 98.9 mci of RAI on 8/28. I was away from my children for 4.5 days and kept the appropriate amount of distance from my husband in the first few days of isolation (not sleeping in the same bed, six or more feet away from each other etc.)

My question was I supposed to deep clean my bathroom before my kids returned? and on day 4.5 I returned home and had pretty minimal interaction with my kids at 3 or more feet apart and I did not snuggle or hold them longer than 10-15 minutes. I did sit in a car with them on Monday 9/2 but they were at least three feet from me. I also realized my daughter took a sip from my straw on 9/2 (five days post treatment) and I stopped her as fast as I could.

I am just so worried that I exposed them and I can't stop obsessing over the idea that I caused some sort of harm. I can't help but panic that I should have just stayed away but I did think I was following the instructions from my doc. Am I obsessing over nothing or should I be really worried that I exposed my kids? I am trying not to spiral over it but I just can't help but feel very overwhelmed and like I wasn't prepared enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It’s understandable to feel anxious after radioactive iodine treatment, especially when it comes to your loved ones.

Please note: We are not medical professionals here on PF, and seeking advice from strangers on the internet is a bad idea and fraught with danger.

However, the guidelines you followed sound consistent with standard safety protocols.

Here are a few things that might reassure you:

1. Distance and Time: The radiation from RAI decreases over time, and by day 4.5, the amount of radiation emitted by your body would have significantly reduced. Keeping a 3-foot distance and limiting physical contact as you did minimizes the exposure further.

2. Bathroom Cleaning: Deep cleaning your bathroom after treatment isn’t always necessary, but it’s a good practice to clean areas you used frequently during isolation, particularly for the first few days. This precaution helps minimize any residual contamination.

3. The Sip Incident: While it can be unsettling that your daughter briefly used your straw, the risk of significant exposure from this single, brief contact is very low. The amount of radiation in your saliva decreases quickly over time.

4. Follow-Up Instructions: It sounds like you followed your doctor’s instructions closely. RAI protocols are designed with safety in mind, and small deviations (like your daughter’s sip or sitting in the car) are unlikely to pose significant risks.

If you’re still feeling overwhelmed, I encourage you to contact your healthcare provider and discuss your concerns.

They can provide more personalized reassurance based on your treatment.

But overall, it sounds like you took appropriate precautions, and the risk to your children is very low.

Likes Astronuc, Thygal21 and PeterDonis
jedishrfu said:
But overall, it sounds like you took appropriate precautions, and the risk to your children is very low.
I agree with this, but @Thygal21 -- please do have a conversation with your doctor or their nurses to be sure that you followed the post-op instructions correctly. Be well, and best of luck in your medical treatments.

Thread will stay closed.

Likes jedishrfu