Radioactivity of Thorium question

In summary, we are given the information that thorium, with a half-life of 1.913 years and an atomic mass of 228.028715 u, undergoes alpha decay to produce radium, with an atomic mass of 224.020186 u, as a daughter nucleus. We are asked to find the decay constant of thorium and to use the energy released from the decay of 10 g of thorium to heat 3.8 kg of water and determine the change in temperature of the water after 1 hour. To solve this problem, we use the equations N = NOe^-λt, C= mcΔT, and E= mc^2. We calculate the difference in mass between the
bigkrezca32

Homework Statement

Thorium (with half-life T1/2 = 1.913 yr. and atomic mass 228.028715 u) undergoes alpha decay and produces radium (atomic mass 224.020186 u) as a daughter nucleus. (Assume the alpha particle has atomic mass 4.002603 u.)

(a) What is the decay constant of thorium? (Note that the answer must be in units of hrs-1.)
-- I got this correct (4.14 * 10^-5)

(c) The energy released from the decay of 10 g of thorium is used to heat 3.8 kg of water (assume all the energy released goes into the water).
What is the change in temperature of the water after 1 hr.?
--------HELP: This is a multi-step problem. Among the things you must do are: i) determine the heat given off by the decay of one thorium atom, ii) determine the number of thorium atoms that decay to get the total heat given off, iii) determine the temperature change of the water knowing how much heat is given off.

HELP: To determine the heat given off, figure out the difference in mass of the reactants and products and use E = mc2. Be careful of your units.

HELP: To determine the amount of thorium that decays, figure out how many thorium atoms there were initially and then determine how many there are after 1 hrs. As always, watch your units.

HELP: Once you know the heat released, use the heat capacity of water (4186 J/kg-K) and the mass of water to find the temperature change.

Homework Equations

N = NOe^-λt
C= mcT
E= mc2

The Attempt at a Solution

- 10g(1/228.028715)(6.022 * 10^23) = 2.64 * 10^22 atoms

- N = NOe^-λt = (2.64*10^22)e^-(4.14 * 10^-5)(1) = 2.63989 * 10^22 atoms

-- From this point I'm having problems figuring out the difference in mass between initial and final I think. Should the initial mass be: (2.64 * 10^22)(1 mo/ (6.022 * 10^23)(228.028715 g/ 1 mol) ...?

What should the final mass be?

I know from that point you plug in the change in mass into E = mc2, and take that energy and put it in for Q in Q=mcT (with the mass here being the mass of the water), and solve for T. The T I get here - 273 would be the degrees in celsius. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
For one decay the difference in mass=mass of Th-(mass of Ra +mass of alpha)

Ok. I ended up getting the right answer but don't fully understand the last step.

mf= .005926u
E=mc^2 = 8.9 * 10^-13 J

For difference in # of atoms I did: Atoms initial = (10 g * 1 mol /232.038 g * 6.022 * 10^23) = 2.59526457 *10^22
Atoms final= N = 2.59526457 * 10^22e^(-4.14 * 10^-5) = 2.59515713 * 10^22
Atoms initial - Atoms final = 1.0744 * 10^18 atoms

(Eatom)(difference in atoms) = (8.9 * 10^-13)(1.0744 * 10^18) = 956216 J

Q= mcT
956216 = (3.8)(4186)T
T= 60.11

---- Why is it that I don't have to subtract 273 from this answer? Did I get my Q wrong, and got lucky with my answer? Since 4186 is in units J/Kg-K, it seems that the answer I'd get would be in K (hence subtract 273). Thanks for the help.

bigkrezca32 said:
Q= mcT
956216 = (3.8)(4186)T
T= 60.11

---- Why is it that I don't have to subtract 273 from this answer? Did I get my Q wrong, and got lucky with my answer? Since 4186 is in units J/Kg-K, it seems that the answer I'd get would be in K (hence subtract 273). Thanks for the help.

Your expression is more correctly Q = mcΔT. You are calculating a temperature difference which makes the 273 drop out because it is added and subtracted.

Thanks a lot for the help. It makes a lot more sense now.

Related to Radioactivity of Thorium question

1. What is thorium and how is it different from other radioactive elements?

Thorium is a naturally occurring element with atomic number 90, symbol Th, and atomic weight 232. It is a radioactive metal that is similar to uranium in terms of its radioactivity. However, thorium has a longer half-life and is less radioactive than uranium.

2. What is the radioactivity of thorium and what are its effects on humans?

The radioactivity of thorium is measured in becquerels (Bq) per gram. The average thorium sample has about 5,000 Bq/g of radioactivity. This level of radioactivity is considered low and poses little risk to humans. However, prolonged exposure to high levels of thorium can lead to health problems such as lung and bone cancer.

3. How is thorium used in nuclear energy?

Thorium can be used as a fuel in nuclear reactors to generate electricity. It is not a fissile material, meaning it cannot sustain a nuclear chain reaction on its own. However, it can be used as a fertile material, meaning it can be converted into a fissile material (uranium-233) through a process called neutron capture. This makes thorium an attractive alternative to traditional nuclear fuels like uranium and plutonium.

4. What are the environmental impacts of thorium radioactivity?

The environmental impacts of thorium radioactivity are minimal compared to other radioactive elements. Thorium has a relatively long half-life (14 billion years) and decays into stable elements, so it does not pose a significant threat to the environment. However, the mining and processing of thorium can lead to the release of radioactive byproducts and can contribute to environmental contamination if not managed properly.

5. Is thorium a viable alternative to traditional nuclear energy sources?

There is ongoing research and development into using thorium as a nuclear fuel source, and some argue that it is a safer and more sustainable alternative to traditional fuels. However, there are still technical and economic challenges to overcome before thorium-based nuclear reactors become a widespread reality. Additionally, thorium is not a renewable resource and must be mined, which can have its own environmental impacts.