Radius of an Arc Inside an Arc

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two arcs within a circle and the radius of the inner circle. The problem is unsolvable and a diagram explaining the variables would be helpful. The attempts at a solution involve equations for the angles and distances between the arcs.
IBY

Homework Statement

Say there are two arcs which are part of the circumference of a circle within a circle with the same angles, but since one arc belongs to the circle outside, that arc is longer than the arc inside it. If the first arc has length s, then the second arc has length [tex] s + \Delta s [/tex]. The distance between the two arcs are [tex]\Delta r[/tex]. Supposing that we don't know what the length of the inner circle is, and the information we know is the angle of the arcs, the difference of length between the two arcs, and the distance between them, what is the radius of the inner circle, supposing that the outer circle is [tex]r+\Delta r[/tex]?

This is a problem I made up, so there is no hurry in answering it. Anyways, I want someone to check the logic of my procedure because when I plugged in some numbers, they did not compute.

Homework Equations

[tex]\theta=\frac{s}{r}=\frac{s+ \Delta s}{r+ \Delta r}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta r=\frac{s+\Delta s}{\theta}-\frac{s}{\theta}[/tex]
(the second one is the one where I start from, basically the distance between the two arcs is the radius of the outside minus the radius of the inside)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since s over theta is the radius:

[tex]\Delta r=\frac{s+\Delta s}{\theta}-r[/tex]

And since theta is s over r:

[tex]\Delta r=(s+\Delta s)\frac{r}{s}-r[/tex]

[tex]\Delta r=(1+\frac{\Delta s}{s})*r-r[/tex]

Factoring out the r:

[tex]\Delta r=r*((1+\frac{\Delta s}{s})-1)[/tex]

[tex]\Delta r=r*\frac{\Delta s}{s}[/tex]

Looking for r, I get:

[tex]r=\Delta r \frac{s}{\Delta s}[/tex] ***

Now, using equation 1 of the relevant equations:

[tex]\theta=\frac{s+ \Delta s}{r+ \Delta r}[/tex]

I solve for s, which is:

[tex]\theta*r+\theta*\Delta r-\Delta s[/tex]

Now, using the equation I asterisked, I substitute for s:

[tex]r=\Delta r*\frac{\theta*r+\theta*\Delta r-\Delta s}{\Delta s}[/tex]

I simplify:

[tex]r=\frac{\theta*r*\Delta r}{\Delta s}+\frac{\theta*\Delta r^2}{\Delta s}-\Delta r[/tex]

Substracting both sides with the term at the right with the r in it, I get:

[tex]r-\frac{\theta*r*\Delta r}{\Delta s}=\frac{\theta*\Delta r^2}{\Delta s}-\Delta r[/tex]

Factoring out r, I get:

[tex]r(1-\frac{\theta*\Delta r}{\Delta s})=\frac{\theta*\Delta r^2}{\Delta s}-\Delta r[/tex]

Solving for r:

[tex]r=\frac{\frac{\theta*\Delta r^2}{\Delta s}-\Delta r}{1-\frac{\theta*\Delta r}{\Delta s}}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
IBY said:

[tex]\Delta r=\frac{s}{\theta}+\frac{\Delta s}{\theta}-\frac{s}{\theta}=\frac{\Delta s}{\theta}[/tex]

Δs/Δr= θ, they are not independent quantities. ehild

I am sorry to tell you that I don't know what you mean by that. :confused: Perhaps you could clarify that part to me a bit more.

I mean that you can not choose Δs and Δr and θ arbitrarily, and you can not find r from them. Your resulting formula for r is equivalent to r=0/0.

Does this mean the problem is unsolveable?

IBY said:
Does this mean the problem is unsolveable?

Yes.

ehild

Ok, thanks!

Wait, but it isn't. You're thinking of differentials. Since he has no limits in his equation, he's not dealing with differentials. So, there's no 0/0 involved.

Char. Limit said:
Wait, but it isn't. You're thinking of differentials. Since he has no limits in his equation, he's not dealing with differentials. So, there's no 0/0 involved.

Sorry, I do not understand. What do you speak about?

ehild

A diagram explaining your problem would really help. From your explanation, this is what I'm imagining:

sqfgZ.png

So, to define our variables:
  • θ is the angle AOB
  • r = AO = BO
  • Δr = AC = BD
  • s = lesser arc AB
  • s + Δs = lesser arc CD
Is that what you had in mind?

I've also attached file, in case the image above goes down in the future.

Attachments

• IBY.bmp
    107.6 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
IBY said:

Homework Statement

Say there are two arcs which are part of the circumference of a circle within a circle with the same angles, but since one arc belongs to the circle outside, that arc is longer than the arc inside it. If the first arc has length s, then the second arc has length [tex] s + \Delta s [/tex]. The distance between the two arcs are [tex]\Delta r[/tex]. Supposing that we don't know what the length of the inner circle is, and the information we know is the angle of the arcs, the difference of length between the two arcs, and the distance between them, what is the radius of the inner circle, supposing that the outer circle is [tex]r+\Delta r[/tex]?

This is a problem I made up, so there is no hurry in answering it. Anyways, I want someone to check the logic of my procedure because when I plugged in some numbers, they did not compute.

Homework Equations

[tex]\theta=\frac{s}{r}=\frac{s+ \Delta s}{r+ \Delta r}[/tex]

(the second one is the one where I start from, basically the distance between the two arcs is the radius of the outside minus the radius of the inside)

The Attempt at a Solution

Yes, this is correct.

Since s over theta is the radius:

[tex]\Delta r=\frac{s+\Delta s}{\theta}-r[/tex]
Why did you go back to r? Just do the subtraction:
[tex]\Delta r= \frac{s}{\theta}+ \frac{\Delta s}{\theta}- \frac{s}{\theta}= \frac{\Delta s}{\theta}[/itex]

Isn't that what you want?

And since theta is s over r:

[tex]\Delta r=(s+\Delta s)\frac{r}{s}-r[/tex]

[tex]\Delta r=(1+\frac{\Delta s}{s})*r-r[/tex]

Factoring out the r:

[tex]\Delta r=r*((1+\frac{\Delta s}{s})-1)[/tex]

[tex]\Delta r=r*\frac{\Delta s}{s}[/tex]

Looking for r, I get:

[tex]r=\Delta r \frac{s}{\Delta s}[/tex] ***

Now, using equation 1 of the relevant equations:

[tex]\theta=\frac{s+ \Delta s}{r+ \Delta r}[/tex]

I solve for s, which is:

[tex]\theta*r+\theta*\Delta r-\Delta s[/tex]

Now, using the equation I asterisked, I substitute for s:

[tex]r=\Delta r*\frac{\theta*r+\theta*\Delta r-\Delta s}{\Delta s}[/tex]

I simplify:

[tex]r=\frac{\theta*r*\Delta r}{\Delta s}+\frac{\theta*\Delta r^2}{\Delta s}-\Delta r[/tex]

Substracting both sides with the term at the right with the r in it, I get:

[tex]r-\frac{\theta*r*\Delta r}{\Delta s}=\frac{\theta*\Delta r^2}{\Delta s}-\Delta r[/tex]

Factoring out r, I get:

[tex]r(1-\frac{\theta*\Delta r}{\Delta s})=\frac{\theta*\Delta r^2}{\Delta s}-\Delta r[/tex]

Solving for r:

[tex]r=\frac{\frac{\theta*\Delta r^2}{\Delta s}-\Delta r}{1-\frac{\theta*\Delta r}{\Delta s}}[/tex]

It is unsolvable because the values of [tex]\Delta r, \Delta s, \theta[/tex] don't depend on the inner circle's radius. The only relationship you need (and can deduce for that fact) is [tex]\Delta s=\frac{2\pi \Delta r}{\theta}[/tex] which can be easily shown.

This problem was solved long ago in this thread, and it is really very simple, I do not understand why was it started again.
The length of arc is angle times radius, just like mass is density times volume. If you have two pieces of gold, and you know the density and you know that one piece has 2 g more mass than the other, you can find the difference of the volumes, but there is no way to find out the individual volumes or masses.

ehild

Last edited:

FAQ: Radius of an Arc Inside an Arc

1. What is the radius of an arc inside an arc?

The radius of an arc inside an arc refers to the distance from the center of the smaller arc to the center of the larger arc. It is essentially the length of the line segment connecting the two centers.

2. How is the radius of an arc inside an arc calculated?

To calculate the radius of an arc inside an arc, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse (in this case, the radius of the larger arc) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides (the radius of the smaller arc and the distance between the two centers). You can rearrange this formula to solve for the radius of the smaller arc.

3. Can the radius of an arc inside an arc be negative?

No, the radius of an arc inside an arc cannot be negative. Since it is a measure of distance, it must always be positive. If the calculated radius is negative, it may indicate an error in the calculation.

4. How does the radius of an arc inside an arc affect the curvature of the arc?

The radius of an arc inside an arc is directly related to the curvature of the arc. A larger radius will result in a more gradual curve, while a smaller radius will result in a sharper curve. This is because the larger the radius, the less the arc deviates from a straight line and the smaller the radius, the more the arc deviates from a straight line.

5. Can the radius of an arc inside an arc be greater than the radius of the larger arc?

No, the radius of an arc inside an arc cannot be greater than the radius of the larger arc. This would result in the smaller arc extending beyond the larger arc, which is not possible. The radius of the smaller arc must always be equal to or less than the radius of the larger arc.

Back