Radius of convergence derivation

In summary: This is why the radius of convergence is 1/L.In summary, the ratio test is used to determine the convergence of a power series. If the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms is less than 1, the series converges. The radius of convergence is determined by the value of this limit, where the series converges for values of x that are within 1/L of x_0.
MathewsMD
Hi,

I am likely just missing something fundamental here, but I recently just revisited series and am looking over some notes.

In my notes, I have written that if

## \lim_{x \to +\infty} \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} = L ##

Then ## | x - x_o | = 1/L ##

But shouldn't the correct expression be $$ | x - x_o | = L $$ ?

Why is the radius of convergence 1/L instead of L? I was under the assumption since

## \frac{(x - x_o)^{n+1}} {(x-x_o)^n} = x - x_o ##

that this term (absolute value) would be less than and/or (possibly) equal to L? Are my notes inaccurate or is there a reason for R being 1/L?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:
I have written that if

What does [itex] x [/itex] have to do with [itex] a_n [/itex]. Is [itex] a_n [/itex] some function of [itex] x [/itex] ?

Did you mean [itex]lim_{n\to\infty} [/itex] ?

Stephen Tashi said:
What does [itex] x [/itex] have to do with [itex] a_n [/itex]. Is [itex] a_n [/itex] some function of [itex] x [/itex] ?

Did you mean [itex]lim_{n\to\infty} [/itex] ?

Yes. Sorry, that's a typo. It is [itex]lim_{n\to\infty} [/itex] as you noted.

It would be cleare if you started from the beginning. It is hard to guess the original statement of the situation.

MathewsMD said:
Hi,

I am likely just missing something fundamental here, but I recently just revisited series and am looking over some notes.

In my notes, I have written that if

Then ## | x - x_o | = 1/L ##
This doesn't make much sense. For starters, the limit should be as n changes, not x. More importantly, if L > 1, the series diverges, so it doesn't make any sense to talk about the radius of convergence.

The limit above appears in the Ratio Test. If L > 1, the series diverges. If L < 1, the series converges. If L = 1, the test isn't conclusive.
MathewsMD said:
But shouldn't the correct expression be $$ | x - x_o | = L $$ ?

Why is the radius of convergence 1/L instead of L? I was under the assumption since

MathewsMD said:

Apparently the series in question has the n-th term [itex] T_n = a_n (x - x0)^n [/itex]. The ratio relevant to radius of convergence is [itex] \frac{T_{n+1}}{T_n} = \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} \frac{(x-x_0)^{n+1}} {(x-x_0)^n} [/itex]. If the ratio is to be 1 in the limit and the limit of [itex] \frac{ a_{n+1} } {a_n} [/itex] is [itex] L [/itex] as [itex] n [/itex] approaches infinity then you need the ratio [itex] \frac {(x-x_0)^{n+1}} {(x-x0)^n} [/itex] to be [itex] \frac{1}{L} [/itex].

The power series ##\sum\limits_{n=0}^\infty a_n(x-x_0)^n## converges, by the ratio test, when ##\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\left|\frac{a_{n+1}(x-x_0)^{n+1}}{a_n(x-x_0)^n}\right|<1## and diverges when ##\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\left|\frac{a_{n+1}(x-x_0)^{n+1}}{a_n(x-x_0)^n}\right|>1##.

After a bit of fiddling, you get that the power series converges when ##|x-x_0|<1/L## and diverges when ##|x-x_0|>1/L##, where ##L=\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\right|##.

FAQ: Radius of convergence derivation

What is the formula for finding the radius of convergence?

The formula for finding the radius of convergence is given by the ratio test, which states that the radius of convergence is equal to the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive coefficients of the power series.

How do you use the ratio test to find the radius of convergence?

To use the ratio test to find the radius of convergence, you need to take the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive coefficients of the power series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges absolutely and the radius of convergence is equal to the reciprocal of the limit. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges and the radius of convergence is 0. If the limit is equal to 1, further tests are needed to determine the convergence or divergence of the series.

What is the significance of the radius of convergence in power series?

The radius of convergence is a key factor in determining the behavior of a power series. It represents the distance from the center of the power series to the nearest point at which the series converges. If the value of x in the power series is within the radius of convergence, the series will converge. If x is outside of the radius of convergence, the series will diverge.

Can the radius of convergence be negative?

No, the radius of convergence cannot be negative. It represents a distance and therefore must be a positive value. If the ratio test yields a negative value, it is likely due to a mistake in calculations.

Are there any other methods for finding the radius of convergence?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the radius of convergence, such as the root test, the integral test, and the comparison test. However, the ratio test is often the most straightforward and commonly used method for finding the radius of convergence.