Radius of Convergence: f(x) = x^4 / (2 - x^4)

In summary, the radius of convergence for the MacLaurin series of f(x) = x^4 / (2 - x^4) is ^4\sqrt{2} and the interval of convergence is (-^4\sqrt{2}, ^4\sqrt{2}).
Kyousik

Homework Statement

f(x) = x^4 / (2 - x^4). Specify radius of convergence.

Homework Equations

Power Series
f`(x) = c2 + 2c2(x-a) + 3c3(x-a)^2 + ... = (infinity)sigma(n=1) [n * cn * (x-a)^(n-1)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what to do. Usually, most problems are like x^3 / x^4, so I'm not sure what to do. Using L'Hoptials, differentiating top and bottom doesn't do much.

Like if it were x / (9+x^2). I could easily pull out an x and a 9

(x/9) * [1/ [1-(-x/3)^2] ]

Then look at just the -(x/3)^2 as a geometric series

|-(x/3)^2| < 1 = |x^2| / 9 < 1

|x^2| < 9
-3 < x < 3

R = 3 and I = -3, 3

But not sure what to do with the one above in how to manipulate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm if you mean radius of convergence about x=0 it´s pretty straightforward i think.
Just look at the denominator it´s 2-x^4 now just look what´s the nearest pole of that in the complex plane. Sure it´s 0 = 2- x^4 -> r = (2)^(1/4), that´s your radius of convergence.
Another way would be this:
that f(x) and compute the series:
you get : f(x) = 1/2*x^4 + 1/4*x^8+ 1/8x^12 ...
now take the formula for the radius of convergence
(a_n)^(1/n) and compute the limit n-> infinity
a_n is surely 2^(-1/4*n)
now compute the limit and you get 2^(-1/4) take the reciprocal and you got r=2^(1/4)

:)

It doesn't make sense to talk about the "radius of convergence" of function! The radius of convergence is defined for a power series. Of course, a function like this can be written as a power series by taking its Taylor's series. But then the radius of convergence depends upon the center: what is a in (x-a)n?

Assuming, as Mr. Brown did, that you mean "what is the radius of convergence of the MacLaurin series (i.e. the Taylor's series about a= 0) for x4/(2-x4)", then you don't really have to find the Taylor's series. The series will converge as long as there is nothing stopping it! In other words as long as the function is "analytic" (Actually, the definition of "analytic" is that the Taylor's series converges to the given function in some neighborhood of the point!). Here, that means as long as the function is "smooth"- has as many derivatives as you want. It is obvious that the function x4/(2- x4) is smooth as long as the denominator is not 0: the "problem" occurs when 2- x4= 0. That is, as long as x is not [itex]^4\sqrt{2}[/itex]. What we really should do is look at the "complex plane"- the "radius" of convergence really is a "radius"- the radius of the largest circle around the given point (here, (0,0)) that does not include a point where the function is not continuous. This function is not continuous at any complex number where 2- x4= 0. That is at [itex]^4\sqrt{2}[/itex], [itex]-^4\sqrt{2}[/itex], [itex]i^4\sqrt{2}[/itex], and [itex]-i^4\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Fortunately, all of those lie on the circle about 0 with radius [itex]^4\sqrt{2}[/itex]. The "radius of convergence" of the MacLaurin series for x2/(2- x2) is,as Mr. Brown said, [itex]^4\sqrt{2}[/itex].

Related to Radius of Convergence: f(x) = x^4 / (2 - x^4)

What is the radius of convergence for the function f(x) = x^4 / (2 - x^4)?

The radius of convergence for this function is 1. This means that the series will converge for all values of x within a distance of 1 from the center of convergence, which is at x = 0.

How do I calculate the radius of convergence for this function?

The radius of convergence can be calculated by taking the limit as n approaches infinity of the absolute value of the ratio of the (n+1)th term to the nth term in the series. In this case, it would be |(x^4 / (2 - x^4))| = |x|^4 / |2 - x^4|. Simplifying this expression and taking the limit will result in a final answer of 1.

Can the radius of convergence ever be negative?

No, the radius of convergence must always be a positive value. This is because it represents the distance from the center of convergence to the nearest point where the series diverges. Negative values do not make sense in this context.

What happens if I plug in a value of x that is exactly equal to the radius of convergence?

If x is equal to the radius of convergence, the series may converge or diverge depending on the function. In this case, if x = 1, the series will diverge since the denominator of the function becomes 2 - 1^4 = 1, resulting in a division by 0. However, if x = -1, the series will converge since the denominator becomes 2 - (-1)^4 = 1, resulting in a finite value.

How does the radius of convergence affect the convergence of the series?

The radius of convergence is directly related to the convergence of the series. If a value of x is within the radius of convergence, the series will converge. If a value of x is outside the radius of convergence, the series will diverge. The closer the value of x is to the center of convergence, the more likely the series is to converge.