Radius of convergence of an infinite summation

In summary, the radius of convergence for the given infinite summation is equal to 2/3. This is determined using the formula for the radius of convergence of a power series, where the numerator and denominator of the power term cancel out in the ratio test. Additionally, while there are other methods for determining convergence, many of them involve comparing the series to a geometric series, making it a valuable tool for analyzing infinite series.
jacobrhcp
[SOLVED] radius of convergence of an infinite summation

Homework Statement

find the radius of convergence of the series:

[tex]\sum\frac{(-1)^k}{k^2 3^k}(z-\frac{1}{2})^{2k}[/tex]

Homework Equations

the radius of convergence of a power series is given by [tex]\rho=\frac{1}{limsup |c_k|^{1/k}}[/tex]

and is equal to [tex]\frac{1}{R}[/tex] when [tex]Lim_{n->\infty} \frac{|c_{k+1}|}{|c_k|}= R [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

the major thing I'm stuck on is the '2k' in the series. General power series only have a factor 'k' in their powers, and I don't know how to get rid of it, so I can use the formula for radius of convergence of power series.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, actually if you did the ratio test you'll notice that 2k (both numerator and denominator_ will cancel itself out.

you're quite right.

I am not used to the tests of general infinite series, because we did power series before we handeled general infinite series and it's tests (such as the ratio test), which I'm afraid we won't ever cover. =( I'll have to study them by myself.

Thanks.

Remember the following, jacob:

We have basically, only one tool to determine whether a series converges or not:

Its "relation" to a geometric series!

Practically all of the so-called tests work because in the proof of them, we are able to tweak the condition into a comparison with a relevant geometric series.

how is that true? I mean, there are other infinite summations than the geometric series for which we know the radius of convergence, right?

Sure, there are!
But just about every test we have shows, in the proof of it, that if the test criterion holds, then our actual series will have some unspecified limit below that of a convergent geometric series.

FAQ: Radius of convergence of an infinite summation

What is the radius of convergence of an infinite summation?

The radius of convergence of an infinite summation is a measure of how far from the center of a series the terms will remain within a certain limit. It is the distance from the center of the series to the nearest point where the series converges.

How is the radius of convergence calculated?

The radius of convergence is typically calculated using the ratio test, which involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio between successive terms in the series. If this limit is less than 1, the series converges, and the radius of convergence is equal to this limit. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges, and if the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and other methods must be used to determine the convergence.

What does the radius of convergence tell us about a series?

The radius of convergence tells us how many terms in a series will be needed in order to get a good approximation of the value of the series. The larger the radius of convergence, the more terms will be needed to get a good approximation. A series with a larger radius of convergence is said to be better behaved than a series with a smaller radius of convergence.

Can the radius of convergence be negative?

No, the radius of convergence is always a positive value. It represents a distance from the center of the series, and distances cannot be negative. However, the center of the series can be a negative value, and in this case, the radius of convergence will be the distance from this negative center to the nearest point where the series converges.

What happens if the radius of convergence is infinite?

If the radius of convergence is infinite, it means that the series converges for all values of the variable. This is typically the case for power series that represent a function that is analytic over its entire domain. In this case, the series will converge for all values of the variable within the radius of convergence, and the series will diverge for values outside of this radius.