Radius of Curvature in 3 Dimensions

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation for a curve on a truncated cone in polar coordinates. The formula includes several variables and the physical interpretation of the equation is described. The conversation then moves on to discussing methods for calculating the radius of curvature of the curve as a function of a parameter, using the Frenet-Serret formulas. The conversation ends with a suggestion to look into other expressions of the frame to obtain the desired parameterized form of the equation.
sullis3
I have an equation for a curve that lies along the surface of a truncated cone. In polar coordinates:

theta(r) = K * [ U + arctan(1/U) - (Pi/2) ]

where:

U = SQRT[ ((r/r1)^2) - 1 ]
K = SQRT[ 1 + (H/(r2-r1))^2 ]
r = r1 + (r2-r1)(z/H)

r1 = minor radius of the truncated cone
r2 = major radius of the truncated cone
H = the height of the truncated cone

Physically, think of this as a string wrapped around the truncated cone from one end to the other, with its "angle of attack" varying along the height of the cone.

How can I go about calculating the radius of curvature of this 3D curve as a function of some parameter (preferably arc length)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks arildno - that is helpful. Here's my understanding of what I read:

Given a parameterized form of the equation, I can calculate the values T, N, and B. Furthermore I can calculate their derivatives with respect to s. This provides the inputs needed to solve for kappa and tau using the first two Frenet-Serret equations (with only two unknowns, only two of the equations are required, yes?).

Kappa is the curvature - the reciprocal of which would be the radius of curvature I'm looking for.

Does all that sound correct?

Assuming my understanding so far is on solid ground, this is very promising ... but I find myself still stuck at the beginning. How can I convert my original equation - theta as an unwieldy function of z - into a parameterized form that I can then work with? I'm unsure whether I should be converting this to cartesian form and parameterizing it to r(x(t), y(t), z(t)) - and if so how to do that - or if there is a means to arrive at a parameterized form directly from the polar form.

Thanks ...

[edit] There are actually two equations I'd need to parameterize to fully define the curve: theta(z) as given above, but also r(z). These two equations taken together specify the curve in question.

Last edited:
You should check out the latter part of that essay,
starting at "4 Other expressions of the frame"

That will give you the expression for the radius of curvature with respect to an arbitrary paramater.

FAQ: Radius of Curvature in 3 Dimensions

What is the definition of radius of curvature in 3 dimensions?

The radius of curvature in 3 dimensions refers to the measure of the curvature of an object or surface in three-dimensional space. It is the radius of the circle that best fits the curve at a specific point, indicating how sharply the curve changes direction at that point.

How is the radius of curvature calculated in 3 dimensions?

The radius of curvature in 3 dimensions is calculated using the formula: R = [(1 + (dy/dx)^2)^(3/2)] / (|d^2y/dx^2|), where dy/dx represents the first derivative of the curve and d^2y/dx^2 represents the second derivative. This formula can be applied to any point on the curve to determine the radius of curvature at that point.

What factors affect the radius of curvature in 3 dimensions?

The radius of curvature in 3 dimensions is affected by several factors, including the shape of the object or surface, the point at which the radius is being measured, and the direction of curvature. It can also be influenced by external forces, such as gravity or tension, acting on the object or surface.

What is the significance of radius of curvature in 3 dimensions?

The radius of curvature in 3 dimensions is an important concept in mathematics and physics. It is used to describe the curvature of objects and surfaces, and can help determine the stability and behavior of structures. It is also a crucial factor in understanding the motion of particles and fluid flow in three-dimensional space.

How is radius of curvature used in real-world applications?

The concept of radius of curvature in 3 dimensions is applied in various fields, such as engineering, architecture, and robotics. It is used in designing structures to ensure stability and strength, as well as in creating smooth and efficient motion in machines. It is also used in optics and lens design to determine the shape and focal length of lenses. Additionally, it plays a role in computer graphics and animation for creating realistic curved surfaces and objects.

Back