Raising and lowering operator coefficients

In summary, raising and lowering operators are mathematical tools used in quantum mechanics to determine the energy levels of a system. They work by acting on a wave function and have coefficients that represent their strength. They are related to each other through their commutator and have various applications in quantum mechanics and other fields.
davidj89

Homework Statement

where a=lowering operator, ad=raising operator
ad^(2)+a*ad+ad*a+a^(2)
just need to find the coefficients

Homework Equations

ad|n>=sqrt(n+1)|n+1>
a|n>=sqrt(n)|n-1>

The Attempt at a Solution

ad^(2)=?|n+2>
ad*a=n|n>
a*ad=n|n>
a^(2)=?|n-2>
just reviewing and can't get this practice problem, I think this is where I am messing up.

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind I got it, how do I delete my post?

FAQ: Raising and lowering operator coefficients

1. What is a raising and lowering operator?

A raising and lowering operator is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles. It is used to determine the energy levels of a system by raising or lowering the energy of the system.

2. How do raising and lowering operators work?

Raising and lowering operators work by acting on a wave function in a quantum system. The raising operator increases the energy of the system by one unit, while the lowering operator decreases the energy by one unit. Together, they form a set of operators that can be used to determine the energy levels of a system.

3. What are the coefficients in raising and lowering operators?

The coefficients in raising and lowering operators are numerical values that represent the strength of the operators. They are often denoted as a and a†, where a is the lowering operator and a† is the raising operator. These coefficients are used to calculate the energy levels of a system.

4. How are raising and lowering operators related to each other?

Raising and lowering operators are related to each other through their commutator. The commutator of a and a† is equal to the identity operator, which means that they are inverse operations of each other. This relationship is important in calculating the energy levels of a system.

5. What are some applications of raising and lowering operators?

Raising and lowering operators have many applications in quantum mechanics, including calculating energy levels, solving Schrödinger's equation, and determining transition probabilities between energy states. They are also used in other fields, such as in the creation and annihilation of particles in quantum field theory.

Back