Ramp angle and landing velocity

In summary, the Hollywood daredevil plans to jump the canyon shown in the figure on a motorcycle. If he desires a 3.0-second flight time, the correct angle for his landing ramp is 23.7 degrees and the landing velocity will be 29.6 m/s.
clockworks204
1. A Hollywood daredevil plans to jump the canyon shown in the figure on a motorcycle. There is a 15. m drop and the horizontal distance originally planned was 60. m but it turns out the canyon is really 66.3 m across. If he desires a 3.0-second flight time, what is the correct angle for his landing ramp (deg, positive angle below horizontal) AND landing velocity?

2. magnitude= sqrt(Vf^2 + Vi^2), etc

3. I've calculated the launch speed to be 24.1 m/s and the launch angle to be 23.7 deg. I've tried using the formula 2. to solve for the landing velocity by figuring Vf 15sin(23.7)-(9.81)(3)= -23.4. plugging into the formula, sqrt(-23^2 + 24.1^2)= 33.6 and this is incorrect. I've exhausted myself trying to figure these last 2 parts, and I'm now stumped! Thanks in advance. I also added a visual that may help.

Attachments

• jonesf3_36.gif
    jonesf3_36.gif
    55 KB · Views: 551
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
clockworks204 said:
3. I've calculated the launch speed to be 24.1 m/s and the launch angle to be 23.7 deg.

this is correct.

clockworks204 said:
I've tried using the formula 2. to solve for the landing velocity by figuring Vf 15sin(23.7)-(9.81)(3)= -23.4. plugging into the formula, sqrt(-23^2 + 24.1^2)= 33.6 and this is incorrect. I've exhausted myself trying to figure these last 2 parts, and I'm now stumped! Thanks in advance. I also added a visual that may help.

Recheck this as I do not -23.4. Also remember this will give you the vertical component, which must be added (vector wise) to the horizontal component of velocity which is not 24.1 m/s.

Last edited:
I just rechecked the math and still came out with -23.4. Would the horizontal component be 22.1 from dividing 66.3/3 ? Also, how can the landing angle be calculated? Sorry...confused

clockworks204 said:
I just rechecked the math and still came out with -23.4.

24.1sin(23.7) - 9.81(3)

clockworks204 said:
Would the horizontal component be 22.1 from dividing 66.3/3 ? Also, how can the landing angle be calculated? Sorry...confused

yes the horizontal component would be 22.1 m/s.

Right, wrong number. I figured out the ramp angle by dividing -19.7 by 22.1 and took the reverse tan to get 41.7 degrees. I the got the velocity by using sqrt(19.7^2 + 22.1^2) to get 29.6 m/s.

Thanks for your help rock.freak667, I do appreciate it!

FAQ: Ramp angle and landing velocity

1. What is ramp angle and how does it affect landing velocity?

Ramp angle is the angle at which a ramp is inclined. It is measured in degrees and has a direct impact on the landing velocity of an object. The steeper the ramp angle, the faster the object will accelerate down the ramp and the higher the landing velocity will be.

2. How does the height of the ramp affect the ramp angle and landing velocity?

The height of the ramp does not directly affect the ramp angle, but it does play a role in determining the landing velocity. A higher ramp will result in a steeper ramp angle, which in turn will lead to a higher landing velocity for an object.

3. What is the relationship between ramp length and landing velocity?

The length of the ramp does not have a direct impact on the landing velocity. However, a longer ramp will allow an object to accelerate for a longer period of time, resulting in a higher landing velocity compared to a shorter ramp.

4. How does the surface of the ramp affect the landing velocity of an object?

The surface of the ramp can affect the landing velocity by providing more or less friction. A rougher surface will result in more friction, slowing down the object and reducing the landing velocity. A smoother surface will have less friction, allowing the object to maintain a higher landing velocity.

5. Is there an ideal ramp angle for achieving the maximum landing velocity?

Yes, there is an ideal ramp angle for achieving the maximum landing velocity. It is known as the critical angle, which is the angle at which the object will achieve its maximum acceleration down the ramp. This angle can vary depending on the surface of the ramp and other factors, but it is typically around 45 degrees.

Back