Random Number Generator in C# Using System.Random

In summary, the conversation is about an error in a C# code where a method is inaccessible due to its protection. The solution is to change the access modifier to public and give the method the value it calls for.
TheDemx27
Gold Member
Code:
using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;

namespace ConsoleApplication1
{
    class Program
    {
        public class RandomNextDemo
        {
            static void NoBoundsRandoms(int seed)
            {
                Console.WriteLine(
                    "\nRandom object, seed = {0}, no bounds:", seed);
                Random randObj = new Random (seed);
            }
        }

static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            RandomNextDemo.NoBoundsRandoms();

}  
    }
}

Error1'ConsoleApplication1.Program.RandomNextDemo.NoBoundsRandoms(int)' is inaccessible due to its protection

In C#, of course.

Technology news on Phys.org
Change the access modifier: static public void NoBoundsRandoms(int seed) by default it would set the access modifier to private which is what your current code does.

Last edited:
MathWarrior said:
Change the access modifier: static public void NoBoundsRandoms(int seed) by default it would set the access modifier to private which is what your current code does.

Thanks, I guess I also forgot to give the method the value "seed" it called for.

Related to Random Number Generator in C# Using System.Random

1. What is a Random Number Generator in C#?

A Random Number Generator in C# is a built-in class from the .NET framework that allows programmers to generate random numbers in their code. It is commonly used in applications such as games, simulations, and statistical analysis.

2. How do I use the System.Random class in C#?

To use the System.Random class in C#, you first need to create an instance of the class by declaring a variable of type Random. Then, you can call the various methods and properties of the class to generate random numbers. For example, you can use the Next() method to generate a random integer within a specified range.

3. What is the difference between a pseudo-random number and a truly random number?

A pseudo-random number is generated through an algorithm and is not truly random. It follows a predictable pattern and can be reproduced given the same starting point. On the other hand, a truly random number is generated by natural processes and is unpredictable and unbiased.

4. How can I ensure that my random numbers are truly random?

The System.Random class in C# uses a default seed value based on the system clock, which may not be truly random. To ensure that your random numbers are truly random, you can provide your own seed value using the constructor of the Random class. You can also use a cryptographic random number generator for more secure and truly random numbers.

5. Can I generate random numbers of a specific data type using the System.Random class?

Yes, the System.Random class in C# allows you to generate random numbers of various data types such as integers, doubles, booleans, and characters. You can use the Next() method overload that accepts a data type as a parameter to generate numbers of that specific type.