Random Questions on General Physics

In summary, the concept of relativity applies to many aspects of physics, but there are also quantities and laws that are not relative. In terms of the expansion of the universe, it is measured and described as the distance between unbound objects increasing over time, while within galaxy clusters, gravity prevents this expansion. Overall, the expansion is relative to everything in the universe.
Murtuza Tipu
I don't understand, if everything in this world is relative to something else, then cannot we essentially say that nothing exists independently? We say that the universe is considered to be the ultimate 'background'. However, if we say it is expanding, shouldn't it be expanding relative to something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Murtuza Tipu said:
I don't understand, if everything in this world is relative to something else, then cannot we essentially say that nothing exists independently? We say that the universe is considered to be the ultimate 'background'. However, if we say it is expanding, shouldn't it be expanding relative to something?

I'll answer your last question first. It is expanding relative to EVERYTHING.

Secondly, the word "relative" is used simply to indicate that there are things define relative to some frame. But here, you are also missing several parts of physics in which things are NOT relative. The speed of light isn't relative because it is a constant all the time in vacuum. There are also convariant/invariant forms and quantities that do not change in value.

But what is overlooked here is that even though things are relative, we and are fully aware how they are relative to. This is because we can easily transform our knowledge to whatever frame we want to be in (other than a frame at speed c). In other words, there is no ambiguity. A particle moving at v=0.9c can be easily studied without any vagueness, and I can cite its mass and no one will ask me "relative to what?" Look at the Particle Data Book if you don't believe me.

Zz.

Murtuza Tipu said:

To elaborate on the last question, the expansion of the universe is measured and described as distances between all unbound objects increasing over time. On the scale of galaxy clusters and larger, the force of gravity is too weak to hold them together against expansion, so over time the distance between galaxy clusters and superclusters increases over time. Within galaxy clusters gravity is strong enough so that expansion does no take place. So as ZapperZ said, the expansion is relative to everything.

Related to Random Questions on General Physics

1. What is the definition of physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions.

2. How does physics relate to everyday life?

Physics plays a major role in understanding and explaining many phenomena in our daily lives, such as the laws of motion, electricity, and magnetism. It also helps us develop new technologies and inventions that improve our lives.

3. What are the fundamental laws of physics?

The fundamental laws of physics include Newton's laws of motion, the laws of thermodynamics, the law of universal gravitation, and the theory of relativity.

4. How does physics help us understand the universe?

Physics provides us with the tools and theories to study and explain the behavior of the universe. This includes understanding the properties of matter, the forces that govern its behavior, and the origin and evolution of the universe.

5. What are the major branches of physics?

The major branches of physics include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. Other subfields include astrophysics, biophysics, and nuclear physics.