Random variable conv. in prob. to c. How to find c?

In summary, the distribution of the sum of independent standard normal random variables is a Chi Square distribution with n degrees of freedom. Converging in probability to a constant, Wn has a Chi Square distribution with n degrees of freedom.
SithsNGiggles

Homework Statement

Let ##Y_1,...Y_n## be independent standard normal random variables.

What is the distribution of ##\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n{Y_i}^2## ?

Let ##W_n=\displaystyle\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^n {Y_i}^2##. Does ##W_n\xrightarrow{p}c## for some constant ##c##? If so, what is the value of ##c##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In response to the first question, I say that ##W_n## has a Chi Square distribution with ##n## degrees of freedom.

For the second, I use a theorem stated in my book that says if ##\text{Var}(\hat{\theta}_n)\to 0##, then ##\hat{\theta}_n\xrightarrow{p}\theta##.

I have that ##\text{Var}(W_n)=\dfrac{1}{n^2}\text{Var}\left(\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n {Y_i}^2\right)=\dfrac{2n}{n^2}=\dfrac{2}{n}##, which approaches ##0## as ##n\to\infty##. Thus ##W_n## indeed converges in probability to ##c##.

The problem I'm having now is with finding the value of ##c##. There don't appear to be any examples in my text that describe the process to finding the limiting probability (if that's the right term). Any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
SithsNGiggles said:

Homework Statement

Let ##Y_1,...Y_n## be independent standard normal random variables.

What is the distribution of ##\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n{Y_i}^2## ?

Let ##W_n=\displaystyle\frac{1}{n}\sum_{i=1}^n {Y_i}^2##. Does ##W_n\xrightarrow{p}c## for some constant ##c##? If so, what is the value of ##c##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In response to the first question, I say that ##W_n## has a Chi Square distribution with ##n## degrees of freedom.

For the second, I use a theorem stated in my book that says if ##\text{Var}(\hat{\theta}_n)\to 0##, then ##\hat{\theta}_n\xrightarrow{p}\theta##.

I have that ##\text{Var}(W_n)=\dfrac{1}{n^2}\text{Var}\left(\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n {Y_i}^2\right)=\dfrac{2n}{n^2}=\dfrac{2}{n}##, which approaches ##0## as ##n\to\infty##. Thus ##W_n## indeed converges in probability to ##c##.

The problem I'm having now is with finding the value of ##c##. There don't appear to be any examples in my text that describe the process to finding the limiting probability (if that's the right term). Any help is appreciated

What is ##E(W_n)##?

Likes 1 person
Judging by ##W_n##'s distribution, that would be ##n##. Does that mean ##c=n##, and if so, is that always the case (that the mean is the constant I'm supposed to find)?

SithsNGiggles said:
Judging by ##W_n##'s distribution, that would be ##n##. Does that mean ##c=n##, and if so, is that always the case (that the mean is the constant I'm supposed to find)?
No, E(Wn) is not n.

haruspex said:
No, E(Wn) is not n.

Oh right, I forgot that ##W_n=\frac{1}{n}\sum\cdots##. Thanks! I meant to say ##E(W_n)=1##.

SithsNGiggles said:
Oh right, I forgot that ##W_n=\frac{1}{n}\sum\cdots##. Thanks! I meant to say ##E(W_n)=1##.
Right - so all done here?

Related to Random variable conv. in prob. to c. How to find c?

1. What is a random variable in probability?

A random variable in probability is a variable that can take on different values randomly according to a probability distribution. It is often denoted by the letter X and can be either discrete (taking on a finite or countably infinite number of values) or continuous (taking on values within a range).

2. What does it mean for a random variable to converge in probability?

Convergence in probability means that as the sample size increases, the values of a sequence of random variables get closer and closer to a single fixed value. In other words, the probability of the random variable taking on a particular value approaches a specific limit as the number of observations increases.

3. How is the convergence of a random variable to a constant c determined?

The convergence of a random variable to a constant c can be determined by using the definition of convergence in probability. This involves finding the limit of the probability of the random variable being within a certain range of the constant c as the sample size increases. If the limit is equal to 1, then the random variable converges to c in probability.

4. What is the role of the Central Limit Theorem in finding c for a random variable?

The Central Limit Theorem states that for a sufficiently large sample size, the distribution of the sample means of any random variable will approach a normal distribution. This theorem is often used to find the value of c for a random variable by calculating the mean and standard deviation of the sample and using them to approximate the normal distribution.

5. Can a random variable converge to more than one value c?

No, a random variable can only converge to a single value c in probability. This is because the definition of convergence in probability requires the probability of the random variable taking on values within a certain range of c to approach a specific limit as the sample size increases. If the probability approaches different limits for different values of c, then the convergence of the random variable is undefined.