Randomized Complete Block Design - Scheffe Multiple Comparison

In summary, the conversation is discussing an experiment with multiple factors and a blocking factor, and the experimenters want to calculate confidence intervals for the main effects of each factor. The problem is that the desired width for the intervals is not possible to achieve with the given information, leading to a discussion about the appropriate MSE and sample size needed.
MattMurdock

Homework Statement

I'm working on a problem in Design and Analysis of Experiments by Dean and Voss. It's Chapter 10 question 11 part c.

We have an experiment with 2 treatment factors (each with three levels) and 1 blocking factor (with four levels. It's a randomized complete block design so only one experimental unit per treatment/block combination:

[tex]y_{hij} = \mu + \theta_h + \alpha_i + \beta_j + (\alpha\beta)_{ij} + \epsilon_{hij}[/tex]
where [itex]\theta_h[/itex] refers to the [itex]h^{th}[/itex] block effect and [itex]\alpha_i[/itex] refers to the effect of factor A, [itex]\beta_j[/itex] refers to the effect of factor B and [itex](\alpha\beta)_{ij}[/itex] refers to the interaction between the 2.

The experimenters want Scheffe 95% confidence intervals for normalized contrasts in the main effects of each factor to be no wider than 10. A pilot experiment was run to give an estimate for MSE equal to 670. How many subjects are needed?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The width of a Scheffe interval is defined to be [itex]2\sqrt{(3−1)F_{3−1,8(b−1),0.05}} \sqrt{MSE}[/itex]

Where [itex]8(b−1)[/itex] is the degrees of freedom of SSE and MSE is the variance of the contrasts since they are normalized.

If this is to be less than or equal to 10 then [itex]F_{2,8(b−1),0.05} \leq \frac{25}{670∗2}=0.0186567[/itex]

My problem is that I don't think I can possibly make this inequality work because the F critical values never go below 3 for a numerator degree of freedom equal to 2. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me. Am I making a mistake or is there something wrong with the question? Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[EDIT]
I was wrong with my first post...
Your algebra was right...it is the MSE that will change.
You were given that the width is
## 2\sqrt{(3−1)F _{3−1,8(b−1),0.05}} \sqrt{ MSE} < 10 ## .
Rearranging and squaring gives: ##(3−1)F _{3−1,8(b−1),0.05}< \frac{25}{MSE} ##.
So you want to find: ##F _{3−1,8(b−1),0.05}< \frac{25}{2 MSE} ##.
Remember that your MSE for these purposes will be affected by the sample size...where does that fit in?

Last edited:

Related to Randomized Complete Block Design - Scheffe Multiple Comparison

1. What is a Randomized Complete Block Design?

A Randomized Complete Block Design (RCBD) is a type of experimental design in which the subjects or units are divided into blocks, and within each block, the subjects are randomly assigned to different treatment groups. This design is used to control for sources of variation and increase the accuracy of the results.

2. How is a Randomized Complete Block Design different from other experimental designs?

RCBD differs from other designs, such as completely randomized design, in that it takes into account and controls for any potential sources of variation, such as differences in the characteristics of the subjects or experimental conditions. This makes the results more reliable and increases the precision of the study.

3. What is the purpose of Scheffe multiple comparison in an RCBD?

Scheffe multiple comparison is used in RCBD to compare the means of multiple treatment groups while controlling for the overall experiment-wise error rate. This allows for a more accurate and comprehensive analysis of the data, as it takes into account the potential differences between treatment groups within the same block.

4. What are the advantages of using Scheffe multiple comparison in an RCBD?

There are several advantages to using Scheffe multiple comparison in an RCBD. It allows for a more accurate and comprehensive analysis of the data, reduces the likelihood of making a type I error, and takes into account the overall experiment-wise error rate. Additionally, it is suitable for multiple comparisons and does not require homogeneous variances.

5. How do you determine the sample size for an RCBD with Scheffe multiple comparison?

The sample size for an RCBD with Scheffe multiple comparison can be determined using power analysis or through simulation studies. Power analysis involves calculating the minimum sample size needed to detect a specified effect size with a desired level of power. Simulation studies involve running multiple simulations with varying sample sizes to determine the optimal sample size for the study.

Back