Rank Magnitude of Torque for Forces A-F on Wrench

In summary, the wrench in the figure has six forces acting on it, with force C having zero torque as it is along the axis of the wrench. The ranking of the other forces (A through F) based on magnitude of torque applied is D, (B, E), (A, F), C. The angles between the force and the axis are necessary to determine the exact ranking.
makeAwish
Homework Statement

The wrench in the figure has six forces of equal magnitude acting on it. Rank these forces (A through F) on the basis of the magnitude of the torque they apply to the wrench, measured about an axis centered on the bolt. Rank from largest to smallest.

The attempt at a solution

I've tried from largest: D, (B, E) (A, F), C

where bracket up means same rank.

Force C is along the axis of wrench so its torque is zero, am i right?

Or the ranking cannot be determined cos we don't know the angles between the r and F ?

Attachments

• figure.jpg
    figure.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 665
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hmm. i think i know how to solve..

Last edited:

I would agree with your attempt at a solution. It is correct to rank the forces from largest to smallest, with force D having the largest torque and force C having zero torque. Force C is along the axis of the wrench, so it does not contribute to the overall torque. The ranking can be determined based on the magnitude of the forces alone, without considering the angle between r and F. However, if the angle between r and F was given, it could provide a more accurate ranking of the forces.

FAQ: Rank Magnitude of Torque for Forces A-F on Wrench

1. What is the rank magnitude of torque for forces A-F on a wrench?

The rank magnitude of torque for forces A-F on a wrench refers to the order of magnitude of the torque produced by each force, with A being the largest and F being the smallest.

2. How is the rank magnitude of torque determined?

The rank magnitude of torque is determined by calculating the cross product of the force vector and the distance vector, and then ranking the resulting magnitudes from largest to smallest.

3. Why is it important to know the rank magnitude of torque for forces A-F on a wrench?

Knowing the rank magnitude of torque for forces A-F on a wrench is important because it helps in understanding the effectiveness of each force in producing torque. This information is crucial in designing and using tools, as well as in analyzing and solving problems involving torque.

4. Are all forces on a wrench equally important in determining its torque?

No, not all forces on a wrench are equally important in determining its torque. The rank magnitude of torque shows that some forces have a greater impact on the torque produced compared to others.

5. Can the rank magnitude of torque change depending on the placement of the forces on the wrench?

Yes, the rank magnitude of torque can change depending on the placement of the forces on the wrench. The further the force is from the axis of rotation, the larger the torque it produces. Therefore, the rank magnitude of torque may change if the forces are rearranged on the wrench.