Rank Wave Functions by Speed: IV, I, II=III, III

In summary, the four wave functions are ranked in order of magnitude of the wave speeds as (B) IV = II, I, III, with IV and II having the same speed and III having the smallest speed.
sugz

Homework Statement

8. Four wave functions are given below. Rank them in order of the magnitude of the wave
speeds, from least to greatest.
I. y(x,t) = 5sin(4x − 20t + 4)
II. y(x,t) = 5sin(3x −12t + 5)
III. y(x,t) = 5cos(4x + 24t + 6)
IV. y(x,t) =14cos(2x − 8t + 3)
(A) IV, II, I, III
(B) IV = II, I, III
(C) III, I, II, IV
(D) IV, I, II=III
(E) III, IV, II, I

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to go about this!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you not learned any equations related to one dimensional waves?
You can approach it this way: consider some particular x and t. The equation tells you the value of y at that position and point of time. A short time later, the wave has moved along a bit, so some nearby point has that value of y. Can you see by looking at the equation how to balance a small change in x with a small change in t so that y does not change? What is the ratio of the changes in x and t?

Can u explain how the x:t ratio idicates anything about the speed of the wave

sugz said:
Can u explain how the x:t ratio idicates anything about the speed of the wave
I thought that's what I explained.
Suppose the wave is y=Asin(ax+bt). For some given x, t, consider a nearby position x+dx at time t+dt. If the wave moves distance dx in time dt then y will be the same: y=Asin(ax+bt)=Asin(a(x+dx)+b(t+dt)). If dx and dt are small, that cannot be achieved by moving along a whole number of wavelengths, so it must be that ax+bt=a(x+dx)+b(t+dt). What do you deduce from that?

The functions have the following general form if the wave is in the +x direction

y(x,t) = A sin [k(x − vt) + initial phase]

where the A is amplitude, k is propagation constant, v is velocity, and t is time.

In this case, the velocities are 5, 4, - 6, and 4. So

(B) IV = II, I, III

is correct.

-------------------
Örsan Yüksek

orsanyuksek2013 said:
The functions have the following general form if the wave is in the +x direction

y(x,t) = A sin [k(x − vt) + initial phase]

where the A is amplitude, k is propagation constant, v is velocity, and t is time.

In this case, the velocities are 5, 4, - 6, and 4. So

(B) IV = II, I, III

is correct.

-------------------
Örsan Yüksek
Looks right.

Related to Rank Wave Functions by Speed: IV, I, II=III, III

1. What is the significance of ranking wave functions by speed?

Ranking wave functions by speed allows us to organize and compare different wave functions in terms of their velocities. This can give us insights into how fast particles are moving and how that affects their behavior.

2. How is the ranking of wave functions determined?

The ranking of wave functions is determined by their corresponding quantum numbers. The higher the quantum number, the faster the wave function is considered to be.

3. What is the relationship between the ranking of wave functions and their energies?

The ranking of wave functions is closely related to their energies. Generally, higher ranked wave functions have higher energies and correspond to more energetic particles.

4. Can wave functions with the same ranking have different speeds?

Yes, wave functions with the same ranking can have different speeds. The ranking only tells us the relative speed of a wave function compared to others, but the exact speed can still vary within that ranking.

5. Are there any exceptions to the ranking of wave functions by speed?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the ranking of wave functions by speed. For example, in certain situations, the ranking may not accurately reflect the actual speeds of particles due to quantum effects and interactions with other particles.