Ranking Voltages and Currents in a Circuit with 1 Capacitor

In summary, after the switch is closed, all four voltages (Vbat, VA, VB, and Vcap) will be equal. After the switch has been closed for a long time, the magnitudes of the currents will be ranked as iA > iB > ibat. Just after the switch is opened, the voltage across bulb A will be 2V. The relevant equations for this problem are V=IR, C=Q/V, and Kirchhoff's Loop Rules.
orangefruit

Homework Statement

Two identical bulbs (bulb A and bulb B), a capacitor, and a switch are connected to a battery as shown at right. The switch has been open for a long time. The battery is ideal and has a voltage (Vbat) of 4.0 volts.

The switch is now closed.

RCCPost_Q2_Fig1.jpg

Just after the switch is closed, rank the magnitudes of the four voltages Vbat, VA, VB, and Vcap.

A) Vbat=VA=VB= Vcap
B) Vbat=VA=VB>Vcap
C) Vbat=VA=Vcap>VB
D) Vbat>VA=VB>Vcap
E) VA=VB>Vcap>Vbat

After the switch has been closed for a long time, rank the magnitudes of the currents ibat, iA, and iB. (Assume that the battery is ideal.)

A) ibat = iA = iB
B) ibat > iA = iB
C) ibat = iA > iB
D) iA > iB > ibat

Just after the switch is opened, the voltage across bulb A (in V) is:

Homework Equations

V=IR; C=Q/V; Kirchhoff Loop Rules

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first, I know that in parallel, voltages will be equal. The capacitance is at zero at this moment, thus less than.
Second, after a long time, the circuit will act as a loop w/o capacitor since the capacitor will now be fully charged.
I bolded my answers. Wanted a check to see if my thought processes were indeed correct. If not, I would love to learn from my mistake. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
All your bold answers look ok to me.

However...

For the first, I know that in parallel, voltages will be equal. The capacitance is at zero at this moment, thus less than.

You mean the voltage on the capacitor is zero. The capacitance of the capacitor is unchanged.

Second, after a long time, the circuit will act as a loop w/o capacitor since the capacitor will now be fully charged.

I wouldn't use the words "w/o capacitor" (because of question 3). I think it's better to say...

After the switch has been closed for a long time the capacitor becomes fully charged and Ib falls to zero. Hence Ia>Ib.

Related to Ranking Voltages and Currents in a Circuit with 1 Capacitor

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How does a circuit with 1 capacitor work?

In a circuit with 1 capacitor, the capacitor charges and discharges as current flows through it. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate accumulates positive charge and the other plate accumulates negative charge. This creates an electric field between the plates, which stores energy. When the capacitor is connected to a circuit, this stored energy can be released as needed.

3. What is the role of a capacitor in a circuit?

The role of a capacitor in a circuit is to store electrical energy and release it when needed. It can also filter out unwanted signals and smooth out fluctuations in voltage.

4. How is the capacitance of a capacitor determined?

The capacitance of a capacitor is determined by the surface area of the plates, the distance between the plates, and the type of dielectric material used. It is measured in units of farads (F).

5. What are some common applications of circuits with 1 capacitor?

Circuits with 1 capacitor are commonly used in electronic devices such as power supplies, audio amplifiers, and filters. They are also used in timing circuits, memory chips, and electronic sensors.