Raoult's Law, Finding an unknown compound

• Thread starter Glitche
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, a 1.00m aqueous solution of compound X had a boiling point of 101.04 Celsius. To determine the identity of compound X, the change in boiling point temperature (1.04 degrees C) was divided by the boiling point elevation constant (0.52). This resulted in a value of 2, indicating that two molecules were added to the solution. Based on this information, it is likely that compound X is KCl (potassium chloride). However, further confirmation is needed.
Glitche
1. A 1.00m aqueos solution of compound X had a boiling point of 101.04 Celsius. Which one of the following could be compound X? The boiling point elevation constant for water is 0.52

A) CH3CH2OH
B) KCL
C) C6H12O6
D) NA3PO4

ΔTb=(Kb)(m)

1: identify the change in bp temperature. in this case, it's 101.04-100 = 1.04 degrees C.
2. divide this change by your bp elevation constant. 1.04/0.52 = 2

so now I think that means that two different molecules were added. My guess is it was KCl (potassium chloride). but of course, I'm not entirely sure =/

Can someone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK to me.

Thanks Borek!

Related to Raoult's Law, Finding an unknown compound

1. What is Raoult's Law?

Raoult's Law is a scientific principle that describes the relationship between the vapor pressure of a solution and the mole fraction of its components. It states that the partial vapor pressure of a solvent above a solution is equal to the vapor pressure of the pure solvent multiplied by its mole fraction in the solution.

2. How is Raoult's Law used in finding an unknown compound?

Raoult's Law can be used in finding an unknown compound by measuring the vapor pressure of the solution and comparing it to the vapor pressure of known solvents at the same temperature. The mole fraction of the unknown compound can then be calculated using Raoult's Law, which can help identify the compound.

3. Can Raoult's Law be applied to solutions with more than two components?

Yes, Raoult's Law can be applied to solutions with more than two components, as long as each component behaves independently and there are no interactions between them.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of using Raoult's Law to find an unknown compound?

The accuracy of using Raoult's Law to find an unknown compound can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the assumption that the components in the solution behave independently. Any deviations from these conditions can result in errors in the calculations.

5. How does Raoult's Law relate to the boiling point of a solution?

Raoult's Law states that the vapor pressure of a solution is directly proportional to the mole fraction of the solvent in the solution. This means that as the mole fraction of the solvent decreases, the vapor pressure also decreases, which in turn affects the boiling point of the solution. The lower vapor pressure results in a higher boiling point compared to the pure solvent.