Rate Of Change (derivatives) Word Problem

In summary, a 1.8 m tall student is trying to escape from a minimum security prison in To no by running in a straight line towards the prison wall at a speed of 4.0 m/s. The guards shine a spotlight on the prisoner from a ground distance of 30 m from the wall. The rate at which the prisoner's shadow on the wall is decreasing when she is 20 m from the wall can be determined using basic differentiation rules. The equations for the prisoner's position and the shadow's position at any fixed time t need to be written out in order to solve the problem.
nexxia

Homework Statement

A 1.8 m tall student is trying to escape from the minimum security prison in To no.
She runs in a straight line towards the prison wall at a speed of 4.0 m/s. The guards
shine a spotlight on the prisoner as she begins to run. The spotlight is located on
the ground 30 m from the wall. At which rate is the prisoner's shadow on the wall
decreasing when she is 20 m from the wall?

Homework Equations

All basic differentiation rules.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my problem, I know how to do derivatives fine, I can't set up the equation based on the information given, I was wondering if anyone could give me clues on how to set it up?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi nexxia! welcome to pf! :wink:
nexxia said:
I know how to do derivatives fine, I can't set up the equation based on the information given, I was wondering if anyone could give me clues on how to set it up?

first you need to write out the equations for where everything is at a fixed time t …

what do you get? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi nexxia! welcome to pf! :wink:

first you need to write out the equations for where everything is at a fixed time t …

what do you get? :smile:

Do you mean manipulating v=d/t to make things equal to t and then make them equal to each other?
going out on a limb here;
like t=d/v= 20m/4m/s ?

nexxia said:
Do you mean manipulating v=d/t to make things equal to t and then make them equal to each other?
going out on a limb here;
like t=d/v= 20m/4m/s ?

uhh? :confused:

just write out the equations for where the prisoner is, and where the shadow is, at any fixed time t :redface:

tiny-tim said:
uhh? :confused:

just write out the equations for where the prisoner is, and where the shadow is, at any fixed time t :redface:

I don't know how do do that :confused:

start with …
nexxia said:
She runs in a straight line towards the prison wall at a speed of 4.0 m/s.
… convert that from English into an equation

Related to Rate Of Change (derivatives) Word Problem

What is the definition of rate of change?

The rate of change, also known as the derivative, is the measure of how a quantity changes over a specific period of time. It is typically represented as the slope of a curve on a graph.

How do you find the rate of change in a word problem?

To find the rate of change in a word problem, you must first identify the independent and dependent variables. Then, you can use the formula for the derivative, which is change in y over change in x, to calculate the rate of change.

What is the purpose of using derivatives in real-world scenarios?

Derivatives are used to model and analyze real-world scenarios, such as determining the speed of an object, the growth rate of a population, or the rate of change in a stock market. They help us understand how a quantity is changing and make predictions about its future behavior.

What are some common applications of rate of change in different fields?

Rate of change is used in a variety of fields, including physics, economics, engineering, and biology. It can be used to calculate velocity, determine optimal production levels, design structures, and model population growth, among many other applications.

How can I improve my understanding of rate of change and derivatives?

To improve your understanding of rate of change and derivatives, it is important to practice solving word problems and graphing functions. You can also review the basic rules and formulas for derivatives, and seek out additional resources or seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed.