Rate of change of water in a trough

In summary, Homework Equations and implicit differentation imply that at a rate of 0.6m^3/min, the height changes by 1.2cm when the water is 40cm deep.
Emethyst

Homework Statement

The cross section of a trough for holding water is an inverted equilateral triangle. The trough is 6m long and 50cm deep. If the water is flowing in a t a rate of 0.6m^3/min, find the rate at which the height is changing when the water is 40cm deep.

Homework Equations

implicit differentation

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with the equation V=1/2(bh)l and the given information of dV/dt=0.6. From the equation and all information given, I can see that I am not given b as either a static number or as a rate, and thus need to somehow get rid of it by finding another relationship. My problem is I can't seem to find that relationship, as the only thing that seems to make sense to me is to use similar triangles to get a relationship, but I used this method I ended up with 3 variables instead of 2. Could anyone be of assistance and point me in the right direction for this question, as I have no idea where to find the correct equation for differentation to solve for the answer. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
An equilateral triangle has a very definite relation between base and height. Can you find it? Use trigonometry! Or just the Pythagorean theorem!

Well I can't remember my earlier lessons on trig :-p so I used the Pythagorean Theorem and came up with B=(2/sqrt3)h, where B is the base and h is the height. This brings up another question as there seems to be 2 heights here, one that is the actual trough height and the other that is the height of the water at a specific time. Will there not be 2 separate heights invovled in the equation, or will one simply be ignored in the solving process?

The overall width of the tank is not 2/sqrt(3) cm. By my calculations it is roughly 60 cm wide. Yes, there are two heights in this problem, but you need to work with only the height of the water at a particular time (when h = 60 cm.).

60cm? How would I come up with such an answer? What I did was go B^2=((1/2)B)^2+h^2 and solved the expression for B. For me this made sense because the answer is 8/sqrt3. EDIT: After trying to solve it though I can now see it doesn't work, so that must be where I am going wrong, along with being unsure about the heights.

Mark44 said:
The overall width of the tank is not 2/sqrt(3) cm. By my calculations it is roughly 60 cm wide. Yes, there are two heights in this problem, but you need to work with only the height of the water at a particular time (when h = 60 cm.).

Emethyst said that the width of the cross section is 2*h/sqrt(3). I concur with that. And you want the width at h=40cm. What's your problem with that? And yes, you don't care about the 50cm number, you care about the 40cm number. Where did you come up with h=60cm?

Ok I think I see how to solve the question now. The only problem I seem to be having is getting the correct answer. What I did was:

V=(1/2)Bhw
V=(1/2)((2/sqrt3)h)hw
V=((1/sqrt3)h^2)(6)
V=(6/sqrt3)h^2
dV/dt=(6/sqrt3)(2h)(dh/dt)
0.6=(6/sqrt3)(2(0.4))(dh/dt)
0.6=(4.8/sqrt3)(dh/dt)
0.6/(4.8/sqrt3)=dh/dt
sqrt3/0.125=dh/dt

This is not the answer that the sheet says (the correct answer is sqrt3/8). I know that 4.8/0.6=8 though, so I know I must have gone wrong somewhere in my calculations. If any of you see the mistake please point it out.

Dick said:
Emethyst said that the width of the cross section is 2*h/sqrt(3). I concur with that. And you want the width at h=40cm. What's your problem with that? And yes, you don't care about the 50cm number, you care about the 40cm number. Where did you come up with h=60cm?
My mistake. In doing mental calculations, I was thinking I was getting half the width, but on reflection it was the full width, which is roughly 30 cm. And I missed her h.

Emethyst said:
Ok I think I see how to solve the question now. The only problem I seem to be having is getting the correct answer. What I did was:

V=(1/2)Bhw
V=(1/2)((2/sqrt3)h)hw
V=((1/sqrt3)h^2)(6)
V=(6/sqrt3)h^2
dV/dt=(6/sqrt3)(2h)(dh/dt)
0.6=(6/sqrt3)(2(0.4))(dh/dt)
0.6=(4.8/sqrt3)(dh/dt)
0.6/(4.8/sqrt3)=dh/dt
sqrt3/0.125=dh/dt

This is not the answer that the sheet says (the correct answer is sqrt3/8). I know that 4.8/0.6=8 though, so I know I must have gone wrong somewhere in my calculations. If any of you see the mistake please point it out.

0.6/(4.8/sqrt(3))=sqrt(3)*(0.6/4.8)=sqrt(3)*(1/8). You somehow flipped the 0.6/4.8 part upside down.

Ahh I see my mistake now, thanks for the help Dick, what I did was invert 0.6/(4.8/sqrt3) to get 0.6*(sqrt3/4.8) in order to get rid of the fraction, I just forgot to separate the sqrt3 then multiply it by the 1/8 by the looks of it. Thanks for all of that help, it has been greatly appreciated.

Related to Rate of change of water in a trough

What is the rate of change of water in a trough?

The rate of change of water in a trough refers to how quickly the water level in the trough is changing over time. It is typically measured in volume per unit time, such as liters per hour or gallons per minute.

What factors can affect the rate of change of water in a trough?

The rate of change of water in a trough can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the size and shape of the trough, the volume of water initially in the trough, the temperature and viscosity of the water, and any obstructions or barriers in the trough.

How is the rate of change of water in a trough calculated?

The rate of change of water in a trough can be calculated by measuring the change in water level over a specific period of time and dividing it by the time interval. This will give the average rate of change. To get a more accurate measurement, multiple measurements can be taken and averaged.

What are some real-life applications of studying the rate of change of water in a trough?

Studying the rate of change of water in a trough can be useful in various industries, such as agriculture, hydrology, and engineering. It can help in predicting and managing water flow in irrigation systems, understanding and mitigating the effects of floods, and designing efficient water distribution systems.

How can the rate of change of water in a trough be controlled or manipulated?

The rate of change of water in a trough can be controlled or manipulated by adjusting the factors that affect it, such as the size and shape of the trough, the volume and temperature of the water, and the presence of any barriers. Additionally, pumps or other mechanisms can be used to regulate the flow of water in the trough.