Rate of evaporation from a dish fo water

In summary, the dish has a height of 19.7 cm after 20 minutes due to evaporation. The height is determined by the equation h=(x^2+y^2)^3/2, which is a function of the radius r at the height h.
azzarule

Homework Statement

A dish has a shape described by the equation:
h=(x^2+y^2)^3/2
At time = 0 it is filled to a height of 20cm with a fluid that evaporates when exposed to air. The evaporation rate is proportional to the exposed surface area (that is decreasing) at any time t.
if h(t) is the height of the fluid at time t then
dh/dt is proportional to pir(t)^2, r(t) is the radius at time t. After 20 minutes the height of the fluid was 19.7cm.
im trying to make a differential equation that governs the height h(t) during the evaporation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

initially I have:
expressed x as a function of h
with x=(h^3/2-y^2)^1/2
now I can't get started on forming the equation from this. Maybe volume is needed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi azzarule! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
azzarule said:
initially I have:
expressed x as a function of h
with x=(h^3/2-y^2)^1/2

forget x :redface:

use r :wink:

got mixed up,
wouldnt the height of the water be equivalent to the y value? and r would be equivalent to x?

r2 is then

rt2 = dh/dt * 1/pi ??

azzarule said:
wouldnt the height of the water be equivalent to the y value? and r would be equivalent to x?

no, the height is h (= z)

r is the radius at height h … you needn't bother with x and y :wink:

ok so,

dh/dt = ∏r(t)2

h(t) = ∫∏r(t)2 dt

= ∏r(t)2(∫dt)

=∏r(t)2t

so now h(t) = ∏r(t)2t +C

azzarule said:
h(t) = ∫∏r(t)2 dt

= ∏r(t)2(∫dt)

no, you can't take r2(t) outside the integral !

write h as a function of r

dh = ∏r2(t) dt

h = ∏r2(t2/2)

Last edited:
I went like this and then got stuck again,

dh/dt = A**r2(t)

dh= A*∏*r2(t) dt

h = A*∏*r2(t)*t+C

then use t=20 and h=19.7

do I solve for A or c, also I can't solve for either of these because I don't know r??

Last edited:
Or h=pi*r^3(t)/3 +c

Related to Rate of evaporation from a dish fo water

What is the rate of evaporation from a dish of water?

The rate of evaporation from a dish of water refers to the speed at which water molecules transition from a liquid state to a gaseous state in a given amount of time. This can be affected by various factors such as temperature, humidity, and surface area.

How is the rate of evaporation affected by temperature?

As temperature increases, the rate of evaporation also increases. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy to water molecules, causing them to move faster and break free from the liquid state to become water vapor.

What impact does humidity have on the rate of evaporation?

High humidity levels decrease the rate of evaporation, as there is already a high amount of water vapor in the air. This creates a less favorable environment for water molecules to transition to a gaseous state, resulting in a slower rate of evaporation.

Does the surface area of the water affect the rate of evaporation?

Yes, the larger the surface area of the water, the faster the rate of evaporation. This is because more water molecules are exposed to the air, increasing the chances of them breaking free from the liquid state and becoming water vapor.

How can the rate of evaporation be measured?

The rate of evaporation can be measured by recording the change in volume or weight of water over a period of time. Other methods include using a hygrometer to measure humidity levels, or using a wet bulb and dry bulb thermometer to calculate the rate of evaporation based on the difference in temperature readings.