Ratio and proportion - HEEEEELLLLPP

• Thread starter lazykidarr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary, the conversation is about solving a math problem involving ratios and proportions. The question is to find the monthly income of A, given the ratios of A and B, and B and C, and the monthly income of C. The summary provides the steps to solve the problem and suggests using a calculator if needed. The conversation is not related to calculus and is simply a basic arithmetic problem.
lazykidarr
Hi!
I don't have ANY IDEA on how to do ANY kind of math problem coz i am not a math student but i have to do some QA questions for my entrance exams so I need a little bit of help here!
so...here's the question:-

The monthly incomes of A and B are in the ratio 8:7 and those of B and C are in the ratio 5:3. If the monthly income of C is Rs.3,360, find the monthly income of A.

Options:
a) Rs.3500
b) Rs.4200
c) Rs.5600
d) Rs.6400
I tried solving the problem and I can't get the answer in more than 3 digits! Desperately need help here!

Physics news on Phys.org
A ratio is a fraction and proportion is a statement that two fractions are equal. Here you are told that A/B= 8/7 and that B/C= 5/3. From the first equation, multiplying both sides by 7B, 7A= 8B. Dividing both sides by 8, B= (7/8)A. Doing the same with the second equation, 3B= 5C, B= (5/3)C. So B= (7/8)A= (5/3)C. Multiply both sides by 8/7 to get A= (8/7)(5/3)C= (40/21)C. Since C= 3,360, A= (40/21)(3360). I don't understand what you mean by "more than 3 digits". It just simple arithmetic. Are you allowed to use a calculator? Even without a calculator it is easy to see that 3360 is divisible by 3: 3360/3= 1120 so 3360/21= 1120/7 and, remarkably, 1120/7= 160. Can you multiply 40(160)?

And this surely does not belong in "Calculus and Beyond". It is, as I said, simply arithmetic.

Hi there,

Don't worry, solving ratio and proportion problems can be tricky for those who are not comfortable with math. Let me walk you through the steps to solve this problem:

1. Write down the given ratios: A:B = 8:7 and B:C = 5:3
2. We know that the monthly income of C is Rs.3,360, so we can write the ratio B:C as 5:3360/3 = 5:1120
3. Now, we need to find the ratio A:B in terms of C. To do this, we need to find the common factor between 7 and 1120, which is 7. Dividing both numbers by 7, we get A:B = 8:7 and B:C = 5:160
4. Since we have the ratios A:B and B:C, we can combine them to get the ratio A:C = 8:7 x 5:160 = 8:32
5. We know that the monthly income of C is Rs.3,360, so we can write the ratio A:C as 8:3360/32 = 8:105
6. Finally, we can solve for A by setting up a proportion: 8/105 = x/3360, where x represents the monthly income of A. Solving for x, we get x = Rs. 2560.

Therefore, the monthly income of A is Rs. 2560. I hope this helps and good luck with your entrance exams! Remember, practice makes perfect.

FAQ: Ratio and proportion - HEEEEELLLLPP

1. What is the difference between ratio and proportion?

Ratio refers to the quantitative relationship between two numbers or quantities, while proportion is the equality of two ratios. In other words, a ratio compares two quantities, while a proportion compares two ratios.

2. How do you solve ratio and proportion problems?

To solve a ratio and proportion problem, you can use the following steps: 1. Write out the given ratio or proportion. 2. Cross-multiply the terms of the ratio or proportion. 3. Solve for the unknown value. 4. Check your answer by plugging the values back into the original equation.

3. What is the formula for finding the missing value in a proportion?

The formula for finding the missing value in a proportion is: x = (a * c) / b, where x is the missing value, a and b are the known values in the first ratio, and c is the known value in the second ratio.

4. Can you have a ratio or proportion with more than two numbers or quantities?

Yes, you can have a ratio or proportion with more than two numbers or quantities. For example, a ratio could compare three quantities, such as 2:3:5, and a proportion could compare four quantities, such as 1:2 = 3:6.

5. How are ratios and proportions used in real-life situations?

Ratios and proportions are commonly used in many real-life situations, such as cooking, construction, and finance. For example, in cooking, a recipe may call for a ratio of 2 cups of flour to 1 cup of sugar. In construction, proportions are used to ensure that the dimensions of a building or structure are accurate. In finance, ratios are used to compare financial data, such as a company's assets to its liabilities.