Ratio of volumes in a vertical cylinder with a piston

danut
Homework Statement
A vertical cylinder closed at both ends is separated into two compartments by a movable piston of negligible volume. In the two compartments there are equal masses of the same ideal gas, at the same temperature T₁. At equilibrium, the ratio of the volumes of the two compartments is k = 3.
Relevant Equations
What will be the ratio of the two volumes, if the temperature rises to 4T₁/3?
First, I thought of the forces which are acting upon the piston.
F1 + G = F2, where F1 = p1 * S and F2 = p2 * S
p1 + mg/S = p2

I figured that before and after the gas' temperature rises, the piston has to be at equilibrium, so p2 - p1 = p2' - p1'.

p1V1 = niu * R * T1
p2V2 = niu * R * T1 => p1V1 = p2V2, but V1/V2 = k = 3. so p1/p2 = 1/3, so p2 = 3p1.

Nothing that I think of adds up to anything, the correct answer is: sqrt(2) + 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
danut said:
First, I thought of the forces which are acting upon the piston.
F1 + G = F2, where F1 = p1 * S and F2 = p2 * S
p1 + mg/S = p2
We can probably guess what G and S represent, but you should always define your notation.

danut said:
I figured that before and after the gas' temperature rises, the piston has to be at equilibrium, so p2 - p1 = p2' - p1'.
OK.

Hint: Let ##V_0## be the total volume of the cylinder. Can you express ##V_1## in terms of ##V_0## and ##k##? Likewise for ##V_2##.

Likes danut
TSny said:
We can probably guess what G and S represent, but you should always define your notation.
I apologize and thank you, will do that from now on!!
So V1 = V0*k/(k+1) and V2 = V0/(k+1).

I wrote the equation p2 - p1 = p2' - p1' in terms of ν, R, T and the corresponding volumes and finally got the correct answer!! Thank you so much, I've struggled with this problem for the longest time.

Likes TSny
Great! Good work.

Likes danut