Rational and irrational numbers. (semi- )

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of rational and irrational numbers and attempts to answer the questions: if a is rational and b is irrational, is a+b necessarily irrational? What if a and b are both irrational? And if a is rational and b is irrational, is ab necessarily irrational? Furthermore, the conversation explores whether there exists a number a such that a^2 is irrational, but a^4 is rational. The conversation also poses an additional problem of determining whether the product of two irrational numbers is necessarily irrational.
Sven
Rational and irrational numbers. (semi-urgent)

I need to figure this out by tomorrow =/

Homework Statement

a. If a is rational and b is irrational, is a+b necessarily irrational? What if a and b are both irrational?
b. If a is rational and b is irrational, is ab necessarily irrational?
c. Is there a number of a such that a^2 is irrational, but a^4 is rational?

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I think I have this first part. You can prove it by contradiction.

R= some rational number

a+b = R
b = R-a
A rational number minus a rational number is a rational number. This would mean b = rational, which is not true. therefore a+b is irrational.

This second part, if both are irrational? I was thinking:

a+b = R

a = R-b, or b = R-a. I'm not sure how this helps me x(
-----

No idea, but here's my attempt:

Two cases. If a = 0, ab = 0, and 0 is rational so ab is rational.

if a =/= 0...proof by contradiction maybe?

a*b = rational
a*b = a*b
b = a*b*a^-1?

But then b=b? And that doesn't help me.
-----
c Is there a number a such that a^2 is irrational, but a^4 is rational?

Well again I have no idea but here's my attempt:

a=b
a^2 = ab
ab = x
b = x/a
b = x * a^-1

...again no idea, please help. x(

Physics news on Phys.org

Sven said:
a. I think I have this first part. You can prove it by contradiction.

R= some rational number

a+b = R
b = R-a
A rational number minus a rational number is a rational number. This would mean b = rational, which is not true. therefore a+b is irrational.

So far so good. :)

This second part, if both are irrational? I was thinking:

a+b = R

a = R-b, or b = R-a. I'm not sure how this helps me x(

When finding a proof seems hopeless, one should try to search for a counter-example.

According to part a,

[tex]1 + \sqrt{2}[/tex], and [tex]-\sqrt{2}[/tex] are both irrational, what if you take the sum of them?

No idea, but here's my attempt:

Two cases. If a = 0, ab = 0, and 0 is rational so ab is rational.

First case, okay. :)

if a =/= 0...proof by contradiction maybe?

a*b = rational
a*b = a*b
b = a*b*a^-1?

But then b=b? And that doesn't help me.

Second case:

Well, just do as you did in part a. Like this:

[tex]a \in \mathbb{Q} \backslash \{ 0 \} 0, b \notin \mathbb{Q}[/tex]

Assume that
[tex]ab = r[/tex], where r is a rational number.
[tex]\Rightarrow b = ra ^ {-1}[/tex]

What can you say about b in the above expression?

-------------------------------------

Additional Problem:

If a, and b are both irrational numbers, is ab also irrational?

c Is there a number a such that a^2 is irrational, but a^4 is rational?

Well again I have no idea but here's my attempt:

a=b
a^2 = ab
ab = x
b = x/a
b = x * a^-1

...again no idea, please help. x(

Think about 4-th root. :)

Hello,

I am happy to help you understand the concept of rational and irrational numbers.

First, let's define these two types of numbers. Rational numbers are numbers that can be written as a ratio of two integers, while irrational numbers cannot be written as a ratio of two integers and have an infinite number of non-repeating decimals. Examples of rational numbers are 1/2, 0.75, and 3, while examples of irrational numbers are pi, e, and the square root of 2.

Now, let's address the first part of the question. If a is rational and b is irrational, is a+b necessarily irrational? The answer is yes. Your proof by contradiction is correct. Since a is rational and b is irrational, their sum must be irrational because adding a rational number to an irrational number will always result in an irrational number.

For the second part, if both a and b are irrational, is a+b necessarily irrational? The answer is still yes. Your approach of setting a + b = R is correct. Since a and b are both irrational, R (the sum of a and b) must also be irrational.

Moving on to the third part, is ab necessarily irrational if a is rational and b is irrational? The answer is no. Your approach of using proof by contradiction is correct. Let's say a = 2 (rational) and b = √2 (irrational). Their product, ab, is 2√2, which is irrational. However, if a and b are both irrational, then ab will always be irrational.

Lastly, is there a number a such that a^2 is irrational, but a^4 is rational? The answer is no. Any number raised to an even power will always result in a rational number. Let's take the example of a = √2. In this case, a^2 = (√2)^2 = 2, which is rational. And a^4 = (√2)^4 = 4, which is also rational. Therefore, there is no number a that satisfies this condition.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of rational and irrational numbers for you. Remember, rational numbers can always be written as a ratio of two integers, while irrational numbers cannot. Keep practicing and you will become more comfortable with these concepts. Good luck on your assignment!

Related to Rational and irrational numbers. (semi- )

1. What is the difference between rational and irrational numbers?

Rational numbers are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, while irrational numbers cannot be expressed as a ratio and have an infinite number of non-repeating decimal places.

2. How do you know if a number is rational or irrational?

A number is rational if it can be written as a fraction a/b, where a and b are integers. If a number cannot be expressed as a fraction, it is irrational.

3. Can a number be both rational and irrational?

No, a number can only be one or the other. It cannot be both rational and irrational at the same time.

4. Are all square roots irrational?

No, not all square roots are irrational. Only the square roots of non-perfect square numbers (numbers that do not have a whole number square root) are irrational.

5. How are rational and irrational numbers used in real life?

Rational and irrational numbers are used in many real-life applications, such as in financial calculations, measurements, and scientific calculations. Irrational numbers, specifically, are used in fields such as physics and engineering, where precise calculations are necessary.