Rational roots theorem to prove irrational

In summary, The rational roots theorem can be used to prove that the expression 31/2-21/3 is irrational. The method involves manipulating the expression using algebraic operations and then applying the rational roots theorem to verify that there are no rational roots. Careful algebraic manipulation is necessary and the result may be a polynomial of order 6.
srfriggen

Homework Statement

Use the rational roots theorem to prove 31/2-21/3is irrational.

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher strongly hinted to us that this problem had something to do with the fact that complex roots come in conjugate pairs, and all we had to do was, "flip the sign". But there isn't anything complex about this.

I was trying to work it out by setting x=31/2-21/3and trying to get rid of the fractional exponents by squaring or cubing, but I can't get the algebra down to get that to work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method does work -- try cubing to get rid of the cube root first, then squaring to deal with the square root. The result then follows from the rational root theorem (your constant term will be prime and your leading co-efficient a one, giving you only four cases to verify).

Likes 1 person
FeDeX_LaTeX said:
Your method does work -- try cubing to get rid of the cube root first, then squaring to deal with the square root. The result then follows from the rational root theorem (your constant term will be prime and your leading co-efficient a one, giving you only four cases to verify).

I'm getting a TON of terms when I do it this way, am I doing something wrong, or should I just be extremely careful with the algebra and expect it to be messy?

Expand ##(\sqrt{3} - x)^3 = 2## (there's your cubing of both sides). The LHS should give you some square roots which you can put together on one side and square to get rid of them. The result should be a polynomial of order 6.

Likes 1 person

Related to Rational roots theorem to prove irrational

1. What is the Rational Roots Theorem?

The Rational Roots Theorem, also known as the Rational Zero Theorem, is a mathematical theorem that helps determine potential rational roots of a polynomial equation with integer coefficients. It states that if a polynomial equation has a rational root, then that root will be a fraction where the numerator is a factor of the constant term and the denominator is a factor of the leading coefficient.

2. How is the Rational Roots Theorem used to prove irrational numbers?

The Rational Roots Theorem can be used to prove that a given number is irrational by first assuming that it is a rational number and then using the theorem to show that this assumption leads to a contradiction. If the theorem does not yield any rational roots, then the number must be irrational.

3. Can the Rational Roots Theorem be used for all polynomials?

No, the Rational Roots Theorem can only be used for polynomials with integer coefficients. It is not applicable to polynomials with non-integer coefficients.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Rational Roots Theorem?

While the Rational Roots Theorem is a useful tool, it cannot guarantee that all irrational numbers can be proven using this method. There are some irrational numbers that cannot be proven using the theorem, and other methods must be used to prove their irrationality.

5. Why is the Rational Roots Theorem important in mathematics?

The Rational Roots Theorem is important because it provides a systematic way to find potential rational roots of a polynomial equation, which can help in solving and understanding these equations. It also helps in identifying irrational numbers and their properties, which is crucial in many mathematical concepts and applications.