Rault's Law, Finding Mass of an unknown.

• Thread starter dolpho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Mass
In summary, the molar mass of the solute, X, is 227 g/mol. Calculations should not round down intermediate values, as it can lead to incorrect answers. If intermediate values must be reported, use at least 2 or 3 guard digits to ensure accuracy.
dolpho

Homework Statement

When 10.7 g of an unknown, non-volatile, non-electrolyte, X was dissolved in 100. g of water, the vapor pressure of the solvent decreased from 23.8 torr to 23.6 torr at 298 K. Calculate the molar mass of the solute, X.

Homework Equations

The answer is 227, but I know I'm doing wrong in the equation somewhere.

The Attempt at a Solution

100gH20 = 5.56 moles, Molar Fraction = .991

.991 = 5.56 / 5.56 + x =

5.51 + .991x = 5.56

.05 / .991 = 05 <---subtracted

10.7 / .05 = 214 g

Would appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't round down intermediate values and you will be OK.

Borek said:
Don't round down intermediate values and you will be OK.

Sigh I just got 227.7, I would have definitely rounded off but at least I got the answer now lol. Generally speaking, should I ever round off during the calculations? Some teachers do and some don't so I'm a little confused.

Never round intermediate values during calculations (you have just seen why). If you have to report them, report rounded, but in calculations either use all digits you got (if they are kept in calculator register), or - if you have to save some value to use it later, use at least 2 or 3 so called guard digits - that is, if you know that the number you calculated has 3 sig figs, write it down with 5 or 6 digits.

I would like to point out that the given information is related to Rault's Law, which states that the vapor pressure of a solution is directly proportional to the mole fraction of the solvent. Therefore, the equation used in the attempt at a solution is incorrect.

To correctly solve this problem, we can use the following equation:

P1/P2 = X2/X1

Where P1 is the initial vapor pressure of the solvent (23.8 torr), P2 is the final vapor pressure of the solvent (23.6 torr), X1 is the mole fraction of the solvent (calculated to be 0.991), and X2 is the mole fraction of the solute (unknown).

Rearranging the equation, we get:

X2 = (P2/P1) * X1

Substituting the values, we get:

X2 = (23.6/23.8) * 0.991 = 0.986

Now, we can use the definition of mole fraction to calculate the moles of the solute (X) present in the solution:

Mole fraction = moles of solute / (moles of solvent + moles of solute)

0.986 = moles of X / (5.56 + moles of X)

Solving for moles of X, we get:

moles of X = 5.51

Finally, we can use the definition of molar mass to calculate the molar mass of the solute:

Molar mass = mass of solute / moles of solute

Molar mass = 10.7 g / 5.51 moles = 1.94 g/mol

Therefore, the molar mass of the unknown solute is 1.94 g/mol. I hope this helps!

Related to Rault's Law, Finding Mass of an unknown.

1. What is Rault's Law?

Rault's Law is a law in physical chemistry that states the vapor pressure of a solution is directly proportional to the mole fraction of the solvent present in the solution. It was named after French chemist Francois-Marie Rault, who first described the law in the 19th century.

2. How does Rault's Law relate to finding the mass of an unknown substance?

Rault's Law can be used to find the mass of an unknown substance by measuring the vapor pressure of a solution containing the unknown substance and a known solvent. By using the law and the mole fraction of the solvent, the mole fraction of the unknown substance can be determined and its mass can be calculated.

3. Are there any limitations to using Rault's Law to find the mass of an unknown substance?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Rault's Law. It assumes that the solution is ideal, meaning that the interactions between the solvent and the unknown substance are similar to those between molecules of the same substance. Additionally, the law is most accurate at low concentrations and may not be as accurate at higher concentrations.

4. How can Rault's Law be experimentally determined?

Rault's Law can be experimentally determined by measuring the vapor pressure of a solution containing a known solvent and varying concentrations of the unknown substance. By plotting the vapor pressure against the mole fraction of the unknown substance, the slope of the line can be used to calculate the unknown substance's mole fraction and ultimately its mass.

5. What are some practical applications of Rault's Law?

Rault's Law has many practical applications, including determining the mass of an unknown substance in a solution, predicting the vapor pressure of a solution, and understanding the behavior of mixtures of liquids. It is also used in the production of pharmaceuticals, as well as in industries such as petrochemicals and food and beverage manufacturing.