Ray Bradbury Dies: Celebrating the Life of Literary Pioneer

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ray
In summary, Ray Bradbury's passing is mourned by many who remember reading his works, particularly "The Martian Chronicles", "The Illustrated Man", and "Fahrenheit 451" as required reading in their youth. He leaves behind a legacy of thought-provoking and imaginative stories that continue to inspire readers. Despite not being a traditional science fiction writer, his ability to convey complex ideas with minimal words made him a master of the craft. He will be greatly missed.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When I was a youngster, "The Martian Chronicles", "The Illustrated Man", and "Fahrenheit 451" were all required reading for us nerdy types.

RIP, Mr Bradbury!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/06/entertainment-us-usa-bradbury-idUSBRE8550UC20120606

Physics news on Phys.org
:frown:

lisab said:
When I was a youngster, "The Martian Chronicles", "The Illustrated Man", and "Fahrenheit 451" were all required reading for us nerdy types.

RIP, Mr Bradbury!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/06/entertainment-us-usa-bradbury-idUSBRE8550UC20120606
I read the Martian Chronicles and Fahrenheit 451 in high school.

RIP, RB!

I think I read almost everything he wrote. R.I.P.

RIP Ray, you were read even here.

RIP Ray Bradbury.

Thanks for making things like this possible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEMWtyAKRhQ

What a great author. He'll be missed.

I've got everything he ever wrote, although most of it isn't the first copy I read 'cause I got those from a library in my teens but I love his stuff so much I bought everything later. My kids have also read some of his best.

RIP

Some of his best works (IMO) were not the novels and novellas that got so much attention, but the short stories that turned up in the pulps.

I was quite lucky that my friend's father was a fan of the pulps and he subscribed to quite a few of them. I was careful with his books, and always returned them in good order, so I got to read a lot of stories that I could not have afforded otherwise. Very nice guy. MIT prof with national security experience from the beginnings of the cold war. AND a fan of science fiction. His library was incredible. Still, I loved those pulps.

I absolutely loved the short stories in "The Illustrated Man". "The veldt", and "Last night of the World" are two of my favorites, although all are excellent. I still periodically remember that scene from "The long rain" in the movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Illustrated_Man

Bradbury's short stories were among the best in the pulps. He had a way of expressing complex situations with minimal words, and still made the stories enjoyable and readable. The editors of those pulps had a way of coaxing cogent and compact stories out of their contributors, as explained in many fan-mags. I doubt that Bradbury needed such guidance.

turbo said:
He had a way of expressing complex situations with minimal words, and still made the stories enjoyable and readable.

That actually explains, as well as I could, my opinion of him. He was not a Science Fiction writer, in that he had no regard for scientific accuracy. He was a brilliant poet and fantasist, whose vision frequently tended toward the future. Normally, I detest poetry, but his was in a class by itself. I'm sorry that he is no longer here.

FAQ: Ray Bradbury Dies: Celebrating the Life of Literary Pioneer

1. Who was Ray Bradbury?

Ray Bradbury was an American author and screenwriter known for his contributions to science fiction, fantasy, and horror literature.

2. When did Ray Bradbury pass away?

Ray Bradbury passed away on June 5, 2012 at the age of 91.

3. What are some of Ray Bradbury's most famous works?

Ray Bradbury wrote numerous short stories, novels, and screenplays, but some of his most famous works include "Fahrenheit 451", "The Martian Chronicles", and "Something Wicked This Way Comes".

4. How did Ray Bradbury impact the literary world?

Ray Bradbury's writing had a significant influence on the genres of science fiction, fantasy, and horror. He also inspired many other writers and artists with his imaginative and thought-provoking stories.

5. How is Ray Bradbury being remembered and celebrated?

Ray Bradbury's legacy is being honored through various events, including readings, lectures, and film screenings. Additionally, his books continue to be widely read and his impact on literature is still recognized and celebrated today.