RC Circuit Problem: Find I1, I2, I3 and Q

In summary, the question asks for the steady-state current in each resistor and the charge on the capacitor in a circuit with given values for resistors and voltage. Using the equation R = V / I, the current for the first resistor is calculated to be incorrect due to the formation of a voltage divider with one of the other two resistors. The voltage across the capacitor is also unknown.
SamTsui86

Homework Statement

In Figure P18.50, suppose that the switch has been closed for a length of time sufficiently long enough for the capacitor to become fully charged. (R = 12.0 k, R2 = 17.0 k, R3 = 1.00 k, V = 9.70 V)

The picture is under attachment

a) Find the steady-state current in each resistor.
I1 = µA?
I2 = µA?
I3 = µA ?

(b) Find the charge on the capacitor.
µC ?

Homework Equations

R = V / I

q = Q e^(-t/RC)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, since after the switch is closed, I figured all 9.7 V goes to the first resistor, so I used R = V / I to get the current for the first one. But it's wrong.

Attachments

• p18-50alt.gif
    p18-50alt.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 526
Physics news on Phys.org
It's wrong because there is a voltage divider formed with one of the other two resistors in the steady state. Which one? In the steady state, what is the voltage across the capacitor?

I would like to clarify that the information provided is not sufficient to accurately solve the given problem. The circuit diagram is not provided, and the values for the resistors and voltage source are not labeled in the diagram. Additionally, the units for the resistors and voltage are not specified. This can lead to confusion and errors in the solution.

To accurately solve the problem, the circuit diagram and all necessary values and units should be clearly provided. The equation for calculating the current in a resistor, R = V/I, can be used, but the values and units must be correctly identified. Additionally, the equation for calculating the charge on a capacitor, q = Q e^(-t/RC), can be used to find the charge on the capacitor. However, the time constant (RC) must be known in order to use this equation.

In conclusion, more information and clarity is needed in order to accurately solve the given problem. As a scientist, it is important to always provide clear and accurate information in order to obtain reliable results.

FAQ: RC Circuit Problem: Find I1, I2, I3 and Q

What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains both a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C). It is used to control the flow of electrical current and can be found in many electronic devices.

What is the purpose of finding I1, I2, I3, and Q in an RC circuit?

The values of I1, I2, I3, and Q are important for understanding the behavior of an RC circuit. They represent the current flowing through different parts of the circuit and the charge stored in the capacitor.

What are the steps to solve an RC circuit problem?

The first step is to draw the circuit and label all known values. Then, use Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to set up a system of equations. Next, solve the equations to find the values of I1, I2, I3, and Q. Finally, check your answers and make sure they are consistent with the given circuit and known values.

How does the value of the resistor affect the current in an RC circuit?

The larger the value of the resistor, the smaller the current will be in the circuit. This is because the resistor limits the flow of current and causes it to decrease.

What are some applications of RC circuits?

RC circuits have many practical applications, including in filters, oscillators, and timing circuits. They are also commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.