RCC circuit, posible mistake with constants

In summary, the problem is asking for an expression for v1(t), v2(t), with the constants from the last integration. Kirchoff voltage law is one possible solution, but another incise in the problem is to prove that v1(inf)=v2(inf), with the constants from the last integration it is impossible.
1f5

Homework Statement

There's a circuit, with a capacitor C1, Resistor R1, and another capacitor C2.
In t=0 ; C1 is charged with 2 V and C2 with 1 V
The value of resistor is 1 ohm, C1= 1 F C2=0.5 F

Homework Equations

Kirchoff voltage law.
Capacitor voltage at any given time. (integral form)

The Attempt at a Solution

I solve the resulting diferential equation, but don't know constant value. I believed that it was -3

One of the things that the problem request if to find a expresion for v1(t), v2(t). I substituted i(t) (diferential equation solution) in the integral form of capacitor voltage formula, well that was easy, but another incise in the problem is to prove that v1(inf)=v2(inf), with the constants from the last integration it is impossible.

Physics news on Phys.org
1f5 said:

Homework Statement

There's a circuit, with a capacitor C1, Resistor R1, and another capacitor C2.
In t=0 ; C1 is charged with 2 V and C2 with 1 V
The value of resistor is 1 ohm, C1= 1 F C2=0.5 F

Homework Equations

Kirchoff voltage law.
Capacitor voltage at any given time. (integral form)

The Attempt at a Solution

I solve the resulting diferential equation, but don't know constant value. I believed that it was -3

One of the things that the problem request if to find a expresion for v1(t), v2(t). I substituted i(t) (diferential equation solution) in the integral form of capacitor voltage formula, well that was easy, but another incise in the problem is to prove that v1(inf)=v2(inf), with the constants from the last integration it is impossible.

Is there a circuit diagram to go with this problem? There are several ways to connect three components, and various polarities for the charges on the capacitors.

Last edited:
RCC picture

circ2.jpg

upload picture

Later i discovered that I have a mistake with voltage law, then i resolve the DE and had Ce^(-t/r)
After that i make a sim, and see that the current in t=0 is -1A and tends to zero when t goes to infinity. So the function must be -e^(-t).
(r1=equals 1).

I saw voltages too, but i can't figure from which function they come.

Last edited:
The initial current is unlikely to be negative if initially v1 > v2. Also, how do you arrive at a time constant of 1s? By inspection we can see that the current loop has C1 and C2 in series with a resistance R. What's the effective capacitance for C1 and C2 in series? The time constant should then resolve to RCeff when you solve your differential equation.

Perhaps you should show more of your steps used to solve the DE.

Yes, you were right.

circuit3.jpg

Likes fenixmistico
1f5 said:
Yes, you were right.

circuit3.jpg

Don't let the initial potentials on the capacitors fool you into making wrong choices regarding potential drops due to current flow through them. Whichever plate of a capacitor the current flows INTO with be the + plate as far as the potential drop for the differential equation is concerned.

attachment.php?attachmentid=51355&stc=1&d=1349032731.gif

If you want to make it more obvious, note that you can model a pre-charged capacitor as an uncharged capacitor in series with a voltage supply:

attachment.php?attachmentid=51356&stc=1&d=1349033152.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 936
  • Fig2.gif
    Fig2.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 929

Related to RCC circuit, posible mistake with constants

1. What is an RCC circuit?

An RCC (Resistor-Capacitor-Capacitor) circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor and two capacitors connected in series. It is often used in electronic devices for filtering and signal processing.

2. What are the possible mistakes that can occur in an RCC circuit?

The most common mistake in an RCC circuit is using incorrect values for the resistors or capacitors. This can lead to incorrect calculations and malfunctioning of the circuit. Another mistake is connecting the components in the wrong order, which can affect the overall performance of the circuit.

3. How do I avoid making mistakes with the constants in an RCC circuit?

To avoid making mistakes with the constants in an RCC circuit, it is important to double-check the values of the resistors and capacitors before assembling the circuit. Use a multimeter to measure the values of the components and make sure they match the values specified in the circuit diagram. It is also helpful to label the components to avoid mixing them up during assembly.

4. Can using incorrect constants in an RCC circuit damage the circuit?

Using incorrect constants in an RCC circuit can affect its performance and may cause it to malfunction. However, it is unlikely to cause any permanent damage to the circuit unless the values used are significantly different from the required values.

5. What can I do if I have already assembled an RCC circuit with incorrect constants?

If you have already assembled an RCC circuit with incorrect constants, you can try to troubleshoot the circuit by checking the connections and values of the components. If you are unable to fix the circuit, you can disassemble it and replace the incorrect components with the correct ones. It is always recommended to double-check the values before assembling the circuit to avoid any mistakes.