Re-magnetized AlNiCo500 but failed

• Thread starter Jonnylee
  • Start date
In summary, the magnet did not work because the current was not strong enough and the coil was getting very hot.
Jonnylee
I'd like to build an electromagnet coil that's capable of re-magnetizing (Changing the magnetic field direction) AlNiCo500 (LNG44, Hc=50 kA/m). But failed.
The Magnet is is 3mm in diameter and 12mm in length.
In the beginning, I used a H-Bridge circuit to do that, shown in the attached thumbnail, the voltage is 20v, but it didn't work.
I thought maybe my coil is not thick enough, so I made another one.It didn't work too.
Finally, I directly use my hand to quickly add a 20V voltage on each side of the coil to make a pulse, but it still didn't work.
The coil was getting very hot. I don't know why. So I ask your help.

Attachments

• IMG_0586_副本.jpg
    IMG_0586_副本.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 385
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not the voltage that magnetizes, but the current, or rather the current multiplied by the number of turns.
You should look up the magnetizing curve as for the material, reading the H-value that is needed for the magnetization. The material is magnetized within a μs, so you don't have to sit up all night, waiting for the coil to be heated up due to conducting losses.

Instead you obtain a big capacitor ( say 10mF/64V ) and charge it to 50Vdc, then connect it in parallel with the coil ( keep distance and fasten the material, otherwise it may act as a projectile ).

That's the principle. Some refinement as of the circuit may be needed, such as a diode preventing the current to be reversed. ( A LC-circuit will oscillate ).
Also the values mentioned above must be calculated to optimize the process ( capacitor, number of turns, type of wire ).
F1.jpg

PS: I have to say, that industrial magnetizing machines are "heavy duty" equipment.

2011-6-21-2038124884.jpg

Attachments

• F1.jpg
    F1.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Hesch said:
It's not the voltage that magnetizes, but the current, or rather the current multiplied by the number of turns.
You should look up the magnetizing curve as for the material, reading the H-value that is needed for the magnetization. The material is magnetized within a μs, so you don't have to sit up all night, waiting for the coil to be heated up due to conducting losses.

Instead you obtain a big capacitor ( say 10mF/64V ) and charge it to 50Vdc, then connect it in parallel with the coil ( keep distance and fasten the material, otherwise it may act as a projectile ).

That's the principle. Some refinement as of the circuit may be needed, such as a diode preventing the current to be reversed. ( A LC-circuit will oscillate ).
Also the values mentioned above must be calculated to optimize the process ( capacitor, number of turns, type of wire ).
F1.jpg

PS: I have to say, that industrial magnetizing machines are "heavy duty" equipment.

2011-6-21-2038124884.jpg

Thank you for your answer.

Attachments

• F1.jpg
    F1.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 317

Related to Re-magnetized AlNiCo500 but failed

1. What is the reason for AlNiCo500 failing after being re-magnetized?

The most common reason for AlNiCo500 failing after being re-magnetized is due to improper handling or storage. AlNiCo500 is a brittle material and can easily break if dropped or mishandled. Additionally, exposure to high temperatures can also cause the material to lose its magnetic properties.

2. Can AlNiCo500 be re-magnetized multiple times?

Yes, AlNiCo500 can be re-magnetized multiple times. However, each time it is magnetized, there is a risk of demagnetization or failure. It is important to ensure proper handling and storage to extend the lifespan of the material.

3. Is there a way to prevent AlNiCo500 from failing after re-magnetization?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent AlNiCo500 from failing after re-magnetization, proper handling and storage can greatly reduce the risk. It is also important to use the correct magnetization process and equipment to minimize the chances of failure.

4. How can I determine if my AlNiCo500 has failed after re-magnetization?

One way to determine if AlNiCo500 has failed after re-magnetization is to use a gaussmeter to measure its magnetic field. If the reading is significantly lower than the expected value, it is likely that the material has failed.

5. Can AlNiCo500 be repaired after it has failed from re-magnetization?

Unfortunately, AlNiCo500 cannot be repaired once it has failed from re-magnetization. The material will need to be replaced with a new one. To prevent future failures, it is important to follow proper handling and storage guidelines and use the correct magnetization process.