Re: Sum of infinite series - 1/n^2

In summary, the formula for the sum of infinite series 1/n^2 is ∑(1/n^2) = π^2/6, famously solved by Leonhard Euler in 1734. An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms, represented as ∑(a_n). Euler's proof for the Basel problem involves using the Euler product formula and the gamma function. The sum of infinite series 1/n^2 is convergent, approaching a finite value of π^2/6. It has various applications in mathematics and is used in the study of harmonic functions, Fourier series, and the Casimir force in physics, as well as in engineering and science.
obelu
Please I have a similar problem, how can I compute the sum of this infinite series:

SUM(X / (Y^X) ); where X(i)>0

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this your series?

[tex]\sum\frac{X}{Y^X}[/tex] X(i)>0, what is X, what is Y?

Y is a constant, while the X's are increasing from zero to infinity

Knowing only that Xn is "some" increasing sequence there is no way to find the sum.

FAQ: Re: Sum of infinite series - 1/n^2

1. What is the formula for the sum of infinite series 1/n^2?

The formula for the sum of infinite series 1/n^2 is ∑(1/n^2) = π^2/6. This is known as the Basel problem and was famously solved by Leonhard Euler in 1734.

2. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms, with each term being added to the previous one. It can be represented as ∑(a_n), where n represents the number of terms and a_n represents the value of each term.

3. How do you prove the sum of infinite series 1/n^2 is π^2/6?

Euler's proof for the Basel problem involves using the Euler product formula and the gamma function. He showed that ∑(1/n^2) can be expressed as ∏(1 - 1/p^2), where p represents all prime numbers. This can then be simplified to ∏(1 - 1/p^2) = (1 - 1/2^2)(1 - 1/3^2)(1 - 1/5^2)... = π^2/6.

4. Is the sum of infinite series 1/n^2 convergent or divergent?

The sum of infinite series 1/n^2 is convergent. This means that the sum of all the terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. In this case, the sum approaches π^2/6 as the number of terms goes to infinity.

5. What are some real-world applications of the sum of infinite series 1/n^2?

The sum of infinite series 1/n^2 has several applications in mathematics, including in the study of harmonic functions and Fourier series. It is also used in physics to calculate the Casimir force, which is a quantum mechanical effect between two parallel plates. Additionally, the value of π^2/6 is used in various calculations and equations in engineering and science.