Reactance, resistance and impedance

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between reactance, resistance, and impedance and their representation on an impedance phasor diagram. A phasor diagram represents periodic signals using vectors on a two-dimensional plane, with the horizontal dimension representing pure resistance and the vertical dimension representing reactance. An impedance is a combination of pure resistance and pure reactance.
Dean820
Could someone please help me out with this question, I can't find it everywhere in my book. Its a question I need to know for my exams as well.

Q. Distinguish between reactance, resistance and impedance and illustrate their relationship on an impedance phasor diagram.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you're aware that a phasor diagram represents periodic signals by a vector on a two-dimensional plane.

One of the dimensions (usually the horizontal dimension) is taken to be pure resistance, with a phase angle between voltage and current of zero degrees. A resistor is a purely resistive device.

The other dimension (usually the vertical dimension) is then reactance. A reactive load has an I-V relationship such that they are either 90 degrees or 270 degrees out of phase. Capacitors and inductors are purely reactive devices.

An impedance is any combination of pure resistance and pure reactance summed together.

- Warren

Thanks for the help.

FAQ: Reactance, resistance and impedance

1. What is reactance?

Reactance is the opposition of a circuit to a change in current or voltage, caused by the presence of capacitance or inductance.

2. What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or component impedes the flow of electrical current.

3. What is impedance?

Impedance is the combined effect of both resistance and reactance in a circuit, and it is measured in ohms.

4. How are reactance and resistance different?

Reactance is caused by the presence of capacitance or inductance, while resistance is a property of the material or component itself. Reactance can vary with frequency, whereas resistance remains constant.

5. How do reactance, resistance, and impedance affect electrical circuits?

Reactance and resistance can limit the flow of current in a circuit, while impedance represents the total opposition to current flow. They are important factors to consider when designing and analyzing electrical circuits.