Reaction at roller connecting two cantilever beams

In summary: Recall that the deflection of a beam is the change in its length due to an applied load and the reactions at the supports. The cantilever deflection at a given point is the sum of the deflection of the beam at two points on the cantilever arm, weighted according to the distance between the two points.
iqjump123

Homework Statement

The problem statement is as stated in the attached image, For a given E and cross section of both beams, I am to find the reaction at roller E that attaches beam AB and DC

Homework Equations

There should be stress relation equations and reaction equations. First is to go through the different equations, and then after getting the reaction, the maximum stress at AB will depend directly on the reaction at E - reaction at D.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was first thinking that I could treat this problem as two separate beams, and after getting the reaction forces at point B and point D, I can relate it with the deflection equation, saying

δe=δab+δdc . But then, how would I express the material properties of e?

I then thought of just listing out the forces -
then it will be Ra-2*5(the distributed force)+Rb+Rd-5+Rc=0, and next will be Re=Rd+Rb. But where will I gain the other 3 equations? Would it come from balancing the moment equations at A, E, and C?

Maybe a step in the right direction will help. thanks!

Attachments

• photo-7.jpg
    photo-7.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,048
Physics news on Phys.org
iqjump123 said:

Homework Statement

The problem statement is as stated in the attached image, For a given E and cross section of both beams, I am to find the reaction at roller E that attaches beam AB and DC

Homework Equations

There should be stress relation equations and reaction equations. First is to go through the different equations, and then after getting the reaction, the maximum stress at AB will depend directly on the reaction at E - reaction at D.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was first thinking that I could treat this problem as two separate beams, and after getting the reaction forces at point B and point D, I can relate it with the deflection equation, saying

δe=δab+δdc . But then, how would I express the material properties of e?

I then thought of just listing out the forces -
then it will be Ra-2*5(the distributed force)+Rb+Rd-5+Rc=0, and next will be Re=Rd+Rb. But where will I gain the other 3 equations? Would it come from balancing the moment equations at A, E, and C?

Maybe a step in the right direction will help. thanks!
Your compatability equation δe = δab + δdc is not correct. The deflection of joint e is the same as the deflection of δab and the same as the deflection of δdc, that is, δe = δab = δdc . Look at each beam separately: the beam ab has the applied load plus the unknown load E at the pin; the beam cd has its applied load and the unknown load E (opposite in direction) at the pin. Set the deflections of each beam equal to solve for E. Be sure to calculate the deflections of the cantilevers at the pin properly using superposition for each.

Jay says "Be sure to calculate the deflections of the cantilevers at the pin properly using superposition for each." Even though these beams are indeterminate propped cantilevers with spring supports at the free ends, formulas for cantilever deflection can be used to solve this.

FAQ: Reaction at roller connecting two cantilever beams

1. What is a reaction at roller connecting two cantilever beams?

The reaction at roller connecting two cantilever beams refers to the force or moment that is generated at the point where two cantilever beams are connected by a roller. This reaction is caused by the weight of the beams and any additional loads placed on them.

2. How is the reaction at roller calculated?

The reaction at roller can be calculated using the principles of statics, specifically the equations of equilibrium. By balancing the forces and moments acting on the beams, the reaction at roller can be determined.

3. What factors affect the reaction at roller?

The reaction at roller can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the beams, the angle of the beams, and any additional loads placed on the beams. The length and material properties of the beams can also impact the reaction at roller.

4. Why is the reaction at roller important to consider?

The reaction at roller is an important factor to consider in the design and analysis of structures. It helps determine the stability and strength of the beams and ensures that they can support the intended loads without failure.

5. How can the reaction at roller be controlled?

The reaction at roller can be controlled by adjusting the length and material properties of the beams, as well as the angle at which they are connected. Adding supports or additional rollers can also help distribute the reaction and reduce its magnitude.