Reaction, find the k for the overall reaction

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, The rate law for each reaction is incorrect. The intermediates cannot simply be eliminated from the equations, and the rate constants must be given with their units for the equations to be valid. Additionally, the problem can be simplified by taking into account the different rates of each reaction, and examples or models from class material may be helpful in deriving the correct equations.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

The following three step mechanism has been proposed for the reaction of chlorine and chloroform

(1) [tex]Cl_2 (g) \rightleftharpoons 2Cl(g)[/tex]

(2) [tex]Cl (g) + CHCl_3 (g) \rightarrow HCl (g) + CCl_3 (g)[/tex]

(3) [tex]CCl_3 (g) + Cl(g) \rightarrow CCl_4[/tex]

The numerical values of the rate constants are for these steps are [tex]k_1 = 4.8 x 10^3[/tex], [tex]k_{-1} = 3.6 x 10^3[/tex], [tex]k_2 = 1.3 x 10^-^2[/tex], [tex]k_3 = 2.7 x 10^2[/tex] respectively.

Derive the magnitude of k for the overall reaction

2. Irrelevant Information

I spent two days on this problem (with another problem which I am about to post) and I am about to give up, it is due tonight and I just want to get over this and start studying my other midterm tomorrow

The Attempt at a Solution

So I wrote down the rate laws for each reaction

(1) Rate = k1[Cl2] = k-1[Cl]

(2) Rate = k2[Cl][CHCl3]

(3) Rate = k3[CCl3][Cl]

CL, CCl3 are intermediates so I got rid of them(1) Rate = k1[Cl2]

(2) Rate = k2[CHCl3]

(3) Rate = k3[CCl3]

Physics news on Phys.org

The Attempt at a Solution

So I wrote down the rate laws for each reaction

(1)[STRIKE] Rate =[/STRIKE]

k1[Cl2] = k-1[Cl] and that's still wrong. Look at the back reaction again.

(2) Rate = k2[Cl][CHCl3]

(3) Rate = k3[CCl3][Cl]

wrong again. You just can't write rate = . If you wrote rate of what you would not make these mistakes. Write d[something]/dt = and you might realize what you are talking about and get somewhere.

CL, CCl3 are intermediates so I got rid of them. You can't 'get rid of' intermediates by just forgetting them! They are what the reaction depends upon! You have to get them out of your equations by (elementary) algebra, so that the rates are expressed in terms of the knowable bulk concentrations.

Then, this problem depends on (and is simplified by) the fact that different reactions here have very different rates. There are surely examples in your texts or notes of using this fact in equation derivations. You surely have models for how it is done in your course material.

Finally, but as essential as anything else, you quote the rate constants without any units, as pure numbers which they are not - wouldn't mean anything. If you gave them their units probably some of your errors would be avoided.

Related to Reaction, find the k for the overall reaction

1. What is the overall reaction?

The overall reaction refers to the combined chemical equation for all the individual reactions that occur in a given process. It provides a summary of the reactants and products involved in the entire reaction.

2. How is the rate constant (k) determined for the overall reaction?

The rate constant, or k, is determined by measuring the initial rates of the individual reactions and then using the integrated rate laws to calculate the overall rate of reaction. The overall rate constant is then the slope of the linear relationship between concentration and time.

3. What factors can affect the overall rate constant (k)?

The overall rate constant can be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants, surface area, and presence of catalysts. These factors can alter the rate of the individual reactions and thus impact the overall rate of the reaction.

4. How does the overall rate constant (k) relate to the reaction mechanism?

The overall rate constant is dependent on the reaction mechanism, which is the series of individual steps that make up the overall reaction. The rate constant for the overall reaction is determined by the slowest step in the mechanism, also known as the rate-determining step.

5. Can the overall rate constant (k) change over time?

Yes, the overall rate constant can change over time. This can occur due to changes in the reaction conditions, such as temperature or concentration, or due to the depletion of reactants or accumulation of products. The change in the rate constant can also be seen in reactions with multiple steps, as the rate-determining step may shift as the reaction progresses.