Reaction forces not matching with Test results

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving the analysis of a 3D D shaped incompressible Neo hookean material in contact with a semi cylinder using Ansys 14.5 APDL. The input values and dimensions have been adjusted for computational efficiency, but the reaction forces do not match the expected experimental values. Suggestions are given to check the units of input values, boundary conditions, meshing, and material properties to resolve the issue. Additional assistance from colleagues or Ansys support is also recommended.
Bruce321
Hello,

I am analysing a 3D D shaped Incompressible Neo hookean material in contact with a semi cylinder using Ansys 14.5 APDL. The input values provided are C10=2737674.313898 and mass of D shape geometry to be 8 kg/m. I have converted these values into density and Shear Modulus as required in Ansys 14.5. I want the D shape to deform by 30mm. I have cut down the dimensions using symmetry to reduce the computational costs. The original model was 100 mm x 100 mm x 400 mm. Now it is 50 mm x 100 mm x 100 mm I am able to solve it but the reaction forces are not anywhere close to the experimental value (586N v/s 6KN). Could anyone please look into the code and tell me where I am going wrong
confused.gif
Please provide with your inputs as soon as possible. The Input file is attached for your reference.

Thanks in advance
smile.gif

Regards,
Bruce

Attachments

• Input.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 448
Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello Bruce,

Thank you for sharing your project and asking for input. From the information provided, it seems like you have made a good effort in setting up your simulation. However, there are a few areas that may be causing the discrepancy in your results.

Firstly, it is important to check the units of your input values. The values for C10 and mass seem to be quite large, which may indicate that they are not in the correct units for Ansys. Please double check and make sure they are in the appropriate units (e.g. N/m^2 for C10 and kg for mass).

Additionally, it is important to consider the boundary conditions and constraints you have applied in your simulation. These can greatly affect the results, so make sure they are accurately representing the real-life scenario.

Another factor to consider is the meshing of your model. Make sure the elements are properly defined and that the mesh is fine enough to capture the deformations accurately.

Lastly, it is important to verify the material properties you have used for your simulation. Make sure they are accurate and representative of the real material.

I hope these suggestions help in identifying and resolving the issue with your simulation. If you continue to experience difficulties, I would recommend consulting with a colleague or reaching out to Ansys support for further assistance.

Best of luck with your project.

Related to Reaction forces not matching with Test results

What could be the reason for the reaction forces not matching with the test results?

There could be several reasons for this discrepancy. It could be due to errors in measurement equipment, incorrect calibration of the equipment, improper test setup, or human error during the testing process.

How important is it for the reaction forces to match with the test results?

It is crucial for the reaction forces to match with the test results as it ensures the accuracy and reliability of the testing process. Any discrepancies can lead to incorrect conclusions and compromise the validity of the results.

What steps can be taken to minimize the difference between the reaction forces and test results?

To minimize the difference, it is important to carefully calibrate the equipment before conducting the test and ensure that all the test parameters are accurately measured and recorded. It is also essential to follow the correct testing procedures and minimize any sources of error.

Are there any common mistakes that can cause the reaction forces to not match with the test results?

Yes, there are several common mistakes that can lead to this discrepancy. These include incorrect placement of the equipment, failing to account for external factors such as friction, and not considering the effects of temperature or humidity on the testing environment.

How can one validate the accuracy of the reaction forces in relation to the test results?

To validate the accuracy, it is essential to conduct multiple tests and compare the results. Additionally, the equipment and testing process should be periodically reviewed and calibrated to ensure consistency and accuracy.

Back