Reaction of tritium and deuterium

In summary, the conversation discussed the release of energy in a nuclear reaction involving deuterium and tritium. The semi empirical mass formula was mentioned, but it was found that looking at the masses of each element involved in the reaction would give a more accurate result. By calculating the mass energy for each term, including the additional neutron, the final result of 17.6 MeV was obtained.
skrat

Homework Statement

##_{1}^{2}\textrm{D}+_{1}^{3}\textrm{T}\rightarrow _{4}^{2}\textrm{He}+n##

How much energy releases?

Homework Equations

Semi empirical mass formula that we use:

##W=-w_0A+w_1A^{2/3}+w_2\frac{Z(Z-1)}{A^{1/3}}+w_3\frac{(a-2Z)^2}{A}+w_4\frac{\delta _{ZN}}{A^{3/4}}##

for
##w_0=15.6MeV##, ##w_1=17.3MeV##, ##w_2=0.07MeV##, ##w_3=23.3MeV## and ##w_4=33.5MeV##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now we did plenty of examples yet elements usually had much more neutrons than this reaction, meaning we could simply forget if there were any additional neutrons on the RHS of the reaction.

This is obviously not the case and I have no idea what to do with that extra neutron.

For everything else:

##W=W(He)+W(n)-W(D)-W(T)##

##W=-29.768MeV+W(n)-16.18MeV+3.047MeV##

I hope all the numbers are ok. The result should be 17.6 Mev.

Physics news on Phys.org
In addition to the binding energy terms W, each of the deuterium, tritium, helium and neutron has mass energy. If you calculate the mass energy for each term, including that for the neutron. Mass energy is just [(number of neutrons) x (neutron mass)] + [(number of protons) x (proton mass)]. Put in these mass energies along with the binding energies. Yes, the numbers will be big compared to the binding energies, but the big numbers should cancel... I haven't worked it through myself to check, but this would be how I'd attempt the problem...

Hmmm, your idea my work, yet I have found out what I was supposed to do.

The idea is too ignore semi empirical mass formula but to rather look in the table and find out that:
##m(n)=1.008665 au##
##m(D)=2.014102 au##
##m(T)=3.016050 au## and
##m(He)=4.002603 au##.

This now gives me the right result ##W=c^2[m(He)+m(n)-m(T)-m(D)]=17.6MeV##

Related to Reaction of tritium and deuterium

1. What is the reaction of tritium and deuterium?

The reaction of tritium and deuterium is a nuclear fusion process in which two nuclei of these isotopes combine to form a helium-5 nucleus and release a large amount of energy.

2. What are the reactants in the reaction of tritium and deuterium?

The reactants in this reaction are two isotopes of hydrogen, tritium (hydrogen-3) and deuterium (hydrogen-2).

3. What is the significance of the reaction of tritium and deuterium?

The reaction of tritium and deuterium is significant because it is the primary reaction that occurs in nuclear fusion reactions, which is the process that powers the sun and other stars. It also has potential as a clean and sustainable source of energy on Earth.

4. How is the reaction of tritium and deuterium controlled?

The reaction of tritium and deuterium is controlled by using powerful magnetic fields and extremely high temperatures (in the range of millions of degrees Celsius). These conditions are necessary to overcome the repulsive forces between the positively charged nuclei and allow them to fuse.

5. What are the potential risks and benefits of the reaction of tritium and deuterium?

The potential benefits of this reaction include a nearly limitless supply of clean energy and reduced dependence on fossil fuels. However, there are also potential risks such as the release of harmful radiation and the possibility of accidents or malfunctions in the fusion process. Scientists are still researching and developing ways to safely and effectively harness the power of this reaction.