Ready to Tackle an Advanced Calculus Challenge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equivalence of two definite integrals, one of which is a challenging integration problem. The integral is shown to be equivalent to another integral using the substitution method and a hypergeometric identity. The problem is then modified to make it even more challenging, with the solution involving elliptic integrals and hypergeometric functions. The final answer is given as a combination of various constants and the Gamma function.
Shobhit
Show that

$$\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{\log \tan \theta}{\sqrt{1+\cos^2 \theta}}d\theta = \frac{\log 2}{16 \Gamma \left(\frac{3}{4} \right)^2}\sqrt{2\pi^3}$$

This integral is harder than the http://mathhelpboards.com/challenge-questions-puzzles-28/integration-challenge-7720.html. :D

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm just going to show that it is equivalent to another definite integral.
$$ \int_0^{\pi /2}\frac{\log ( \tan x) }{\sqrt{1+\cos^2 x }}\ dx = \int_{0}^{\pi /2} \frac{\log (\tan x)}{\sqrt{2-\sin^{2} x}} \ dx = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \int_{0}^{\pi /2} \frac{\log(\tan x)}{\sqrt{1- \frac{1}{2} \sin^{2} x}} \ dx $$Let $ u = \tan x$.$$ = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\log u}{\sqrt{1- \frac{1}{2} \frac{u^{2}}{1+u^{2}}}} \frac{1}{1+u^{2}} \ du = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\log u}{\sqrt{\frac{2+u^{2}}{1+u^{2}}}} \frac{1}{1+u^{2}} \ du = $$

$$ = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\log u}{\sqrt{(1+u^{2})(2+u^{2})}} \ du = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\log u}{\sqrt{(1+u^{2})(1 - i^2+u^{2})}} \ du $$There is a formula that states $$ \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\log x}{\sqrt{(1+x^{2})(1-k^{2} + x^{2})}} \ dx = \frac{1}{2} K(k) \ln( \sqrt{1-k^{2}})$$

where $K(k)$ is the complete elliptic integral of the first kind.A derivation in one of Victor Moll's papers uses a crazy-looking hypergeometric identity.So anyways

$$ \int_0^{\pi /2}\frac{\log ( \tan x) }{\sqrt{1+\cos^2 x }}\ dx = \frac{1}{2} K(i) \ln (\sqrt{2}) = \frac{\log 2}{16 \sqrt{2 \pi}} \Gamma^{2} \left( \frac{1}{4} \right)$$

which by the Gamma reflection formula is equivalent to the answer given

Not surprised to see elliptic integrals and hypergeometric functions involved. I tried to solve it with no success.

Well done RV! :)

Now, I am going to modify this problem slightly to make it even more challenging.Show that

$$
\int_0^{\pi\over 2}\frac{\log(\tan x)}{\sqrt{2} \sin(x)+\sqrt{1+\sin^2 x}}dx = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\,\pi}}\left(1+\frac{\log 2}{4} \right)\Gamma\left(\frac34\right)^2-\frac{\sqrt{2\,\pi^3}}{8\Gamma\left(\frac34\right)^{2}}+(\log 2-1)\,\sqrt2
$$

I am always up for a challenge and I love solving complex problems. Let's take a closer look at this integral and see if we can find a solution.

First, let's rewrite the integral using the properties of logarithms and trigonometric functions:

$$\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{\log \tan \theta}{\sqrt{1+\cos^2 \theta}}d\theta = \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{\log \sin \theta - \log \cos \theta}{\sqrt{1+\cos^2 \theta}}d\theta$$

Next, we can use the substitution $u = \sin \theta$, which gives us $du = \cos \theta d\theta$ and changes the limits of integration to $0$ and $1$:

$$\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{\log \tan \theta}{\sqrt{1+\cos^2 \theta}}d\theta = \int_0^1\frac{\log u}{\sqrt{1+1-u^2}}du - \int_0^1\frac{\log (1-u)}{\sqrt{1+1-u^2}}du$$

We can now use the Beta function to evaluate these integrals:

$$\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{\log \tan \theta}{\sqrt{1+\cos^2 \theta}}d\theta = \frac{1}{2}\cdot B\left(\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{4}\right)-\frac{1}{2}\cdot B\left(\frac{1}{2}, \frac{3}{4}\right)$$

Using the properties of the Beta function, we can simplify this to:

$$\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{\log \tan \theta}{\sqrt{1+\cos^2 \theta}}d\theta = \frac{1}{2}\cdot \frac{\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{4}\right)}{\Gamma\left(\frac{3}{4}\right)}-\frac{1}{2}\cdot \frac{\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)\Gamma\left

Related to Ready to Tackle an Advanced Calculus Challenge?

1. What is "Integration Challenge 2"?

"Integration Challenge 2" is a scientific challenge that involves integrating data from multiple sources and using it to solve a specific problem or answer a research question.

2. Who can participate in "Integration Challenge 2"?

Anyone with a background in science, data analysis, or computer programming can participate in "Integration Challenge 2". It is open to both individuals and teams.

3. What is the purpose of "Integration Challenge 2"?

The purpose of "Integration Challenge 2" is to encourage collaboration and showcase the power of integrating data from different sources to solve complex scientific problems.

4. What are the benefits of participating in "Integration Challenge 2"?

Participating in "Integration Challenge 2" can help individuals and teams develop their data integration and problem-solving skills, as well as provide opportunities for networking and recognition in the scientific community.

5. How can I get involved in "Integration Challenge 2"?

To get involved in "Integration Challenge 2", you can visit the official website or social media pages for updates and announcements on upcoming challenges. You can also reach out to the organizers or join a team to participate.