Real Analysis, Lebesgue, limit of an integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of a limit of an integral using Lebesgue theory and Fubini's Theorem. The expert suggests using the monotone convergence theorem and the dominated convergence theorem to exchange the limit and integral, and provides an example to illustrate this. The student asks for clarification and the expert reminds them to find an integrable function f that dominates the sequence of functions.
purpleehobbit
I am absolutely lost. I had to take Advanced Calculus as independent study in a one month class and this book has very few examples, if any. I'm not even sure where to start on this one.

I have to compute the limit of an integral and then justify my methods according to the Lebesgue theory. I can also use Fubini's Theorem.

I have not started a solution on this yet because I don't know where to start. So perhaps I can just post the problem and then you can lead me somewhere where I might be able to see a similar example as to not violate the rules? I know I'm extremely new here but I'm not looking for someone to do it for me, I'm just having a horrible time finding a concrete example.

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.

(sorry, I don't know how to do the fancy equation editors)

Homework Statement

Compute the limit as n approaches infinity of the integral (from 1 to 2) of {x^(2-(sin nx)/n) dx}

Physics news on Phys.org
So you have a sequence of functions (fn), and you want to find

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow+\infty}{\int{f_n}}[/tex]

What you want to do of course is exchange limit and integral, thus

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow+\infty}{\int{f_n}}=\int{\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{f_n}}[/tex]

but we cannot always do that. The good thing about Lebesgue integrals is that there are theorems that do alow us to do this (in certain cases): these are the monotone convergence theorem and the dominated convergence theorem. So I suggest you use this.

Let me give you an easy example: consider [tex]f_n(x)=x/n[/tex]. We want to calculate

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{\int_0^1\frac{x}{n}dx}[/tex]

naively interchanging limit and integrals gives us:

[tex]\int_0^1{\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{\frac{x}{n}}dx}=\int_0^1{0dx}=0[/tex]

But can we interchange limit and integral. Yes: by applying the dominated convergence theorem. Since on [0,1], we have [tex]\left|\frac{x}{n}\right|\leq 1[/tex]. So 1 is a dominating function, and we have
[tex]\int_0^1{1dx}=1[/tex]

Thus 1 is also integrable. This implies that the dominated convergence theorem is applicable!

micromass,

Thanks for your quick response.

I think I'm starting to see some understanding.

So I need to look at my fn. And as n approaches infinity, (sin nx)/n will approach 0 and I would be left with just x^2.

For the dominated convergence, I would have |x^2| <= 4 on [1,2]

And from there I take the integral from 1 to 2 of x^2.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks again for getting back so quickly.

purpleehobbit said:
micromass,

Thanks for your quick response.

I think I'm starting to see some understanding.

So I need to look at my fn. And as n approaches infinity, (sin nx)/n will approach 0 and I would be left with just x^2.

This is already correct, so you have found that

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{\int_1^2{x^{2-\sin(nx)/n}dx}}=\int_1^2{x^2dx}[/tex]

IF the dominated convergence theorem applies! So, we must check now that the dominated convergence theorem applies. For this, you need to find an integrable function f such that

[tex]|f_n|\leq f[/tex] on [1,2]

What you have done is this:

For the dominated convergence, I would have |x^2| <= 4 on [1,2]

This is not sufficient! You'll need to find a function f such that

[tex]|x^{2-\sin(nx)/n}}|\leq f(x)[/tex] on [1,2]

So our function f must be independent of n! Furthermore, this function must be integrable!

Ok, I see what you mean.

Thanks.

micromass said:
This is already correct, so you have found that
So our function f must be independent of n! Furthermore, this function must be integrable!

Did you meant n or x?

FAQ: Real Analysis, Lebesgue, limit of an integral

1. What is Real Analysis?

Real Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties of real numbers, sequences, and functions. It is a rigorous and formal approach to calculus and is used to study the behavior of continuous and smooth functions.

2. What is Lebesgue Integration?

Lebesgue Integration is a mathematical method used to calculate the area under a curve or the volume of a solid in higher dimensions. It is an extension of the traditional Riemann Integration and allows for a more general and flexible approach to integration.

3. What is the significance of Lebesgue Integration in Real Analysis?

Lebesgue Integration is an essential tool in Real Analysis as it allows for the rigorous and precise analysis of functions that are not necessarily continuous or differentiable. It provides a more robust framework for studying the convergence and properties of functions.

4. What is the limit of an integral?

The limit of an integral is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of an integral as its bounds approach a particular value. It is used to determine the convergence of the integral and can be used to evaluate improper integrals.

5. How is the limit of an integral related to the Riemann and Lebesgue Integration?

The limit of an integral is closely related to both Riemann and Lebesgue Integration. In Riemann Integration, the limit of an integral is used to determine whether an integral converges or diverges. In Lebesgue Integration, the limit of an integral is used to define the integral itself and allows for a more general and flexible approach to integration.

Back