Real analysis:limit superior problem

• Thread starter K29
  • Start date
In summary, to prove that c_{n}\geq 0 and \limsup_{n\rightarrow\infty}c_{n}\leq 0 when c>1, we can use Bernoulli's inequality and the fact that c=(1+c_{n})^{n}. This leads to the conclusion that limsup(c_n)=0.
K29

Homework Statement

Let c>1 and let [itex]c_{n}=\sqrt[n]{c}-1[/itex]
Show that [itex] c_{n} \geq 0[/itex] and that
[itex]\stackrel{limsup}{_{n \rightarrow \infty}}c_{n} \leq 0[/itex] by using Bernoullis inequality

(This problem actually occurs in a section on power series and there are more questions that follow from this one)

Homework Equations

[itex](1+x)^{n} \geq 1+nx \forall x\geq -1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I could do the first part, but I'm really at a loss for the second part, even with the bernoullis inequality hint.
I mean I have a fairly good understanding of limit superior so I don't even see how the result they get is even possible. In my head the limsup here is the same as the limit, and that should be greater than 0 anyway.

Either way, can you see a way to write [itex]\sqrt[n]{c}-1[/itex] so that I can use bernoullis inequality? All I can think of is pulling out -1, and that doesn't achieve much.

Any help on any of the above issues would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi K29! :smile:

The thing you write down, i.e. [itex]c_n\geq 0[/itex] and [itex]\limsup{c_n}\leq 0[/itex] is of course only possible if the limsup equals zero! So what the question actually asks you to prove is that [itex]\limsup{c_n}=0[/itex].

Now, what if you apply Bernouilli's inequality to [itex]x=\sqrt[n]{c}-1[/itex]?

You know that [itex]c_{n}=c^{\frac{1}{n}}-1[/itex] The a little re-arrangement shows that [itex]c=(1+c_{n})^{n}[/itex], this is now in a good position to use Bernoullie inequality.

Thanks Micromass for helping me understand what my goal was. (It did seem rather impossible for the limsup to be <0 and that threw me off.)
And thanks hunt_mat, that bernoulli idea helped me solve the problem and get the limsup(c_n)=0

FAQ: Real analysis:limit superior problem

1. What is the definition of limit superior in real analysis?

The limit superior, denoted as lim sup, is the highest possible limit that a sequence can reach as it approaches infinity. It is defined as the supremum of the set of all possible limit points of the sequence.

2. How is limit superior different from limit inferior?

Limit superior and limit inferior are two concepts used in real analysis to describe the behavior of a sequence. While limit superior represents the highest possible limit of a sequence, limit inferior (lim inf) represents the lowest possible limit of a sequence.

3. What is the significance of limit superior in real analysis?

Limit superior is a useful tool in analyzing the behavior of a sequence. It can help determine if a sequence converges or diverges, and if it converges, what its limit is. It is also used in proving theorems and in applications of real analysis.

4. How is limit superior used to prove the convergence of a sequence?

To prove the convergence of a sequence, we need to show that its limit superior and limit inferior are equal. If this is the case, then the sequence is said to converge to this common limit. This is known as the squeeze theorem or the sandwich theorem in real analysis.

5. Can limit superior be calculated numerically?

In some cases, limit superior can be calculated numerically by finding the supremum of a set of numbers. However, in most cases, it is calculated using analytical methods and proofs. It is a theoretical concept used in real analysis and may not always have a numerical value.

Back