Real Analysis: Proving the Greatest Lower Bound Property

In summary: You're on the right track!In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the Greatest Lower Bound Property for nonempty subsets of R that are bounded below. It is proven through the use of the Least Upper Bound Property and the fact that if A and B are bounded above, then the greatest lower bound of -A is equal to the negative of the least upper bound of A, and the least upper bound of (A+B) is equal to the least upper bound of A plus the least upper bound of B.
major_maths

Homework Statement

(a) Suppose that A and B are nonempty subsets of R. Define subsets -A={-x: x[itex]\in[/itex]A} and A+B={x+y: x[itex]\in[/itex]A and y[itex]\in[/itex]B}. Show that if A and B are bounded above, then the greatest lower bound of -A = - least upper bound of A and the least upper bound of (A+B) = the least upper bound of A plus the least upper bound of B.

(b) Use part (a) to prove the Greatest Lower Bound Property: Any nonempty shubset of R that is bounded below has a greatest lower bound.

Homework Equations

If 0<a and 0<b, then there is a positive integer n such that b<a+a+...+a (n summands).
If A is any nonempty subset of R that is bounded above, then there is a least upper bound for A.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've proven that first part of (a), that the greatest lower bound of -A = -least upper bound of A, but I can't figure out why the least upper bound of (A+B) would = the least upper bound of A plus the least upper bound of B. [or sup(A+B) = sup(A)+sup(B)]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi major_maths! :smile:

So you need to prove that

[tex]\sup(A+B)=\sup A+\sup B[/tex]

Can you first prove that [itex]\sup A+\sup B[/itex] is an upper bound of A+B??

That is, take an arbitrary element z in A+B, can you prove that [itex]z\leq \sup A+\sup B[/itex]??

Thanks! I got through part (a) by proving (A+B) must be nonempty and then proving that there was an upper bound in (A+B) since both A and B had upper bounds, using the Least Upper Bound Property to prove that there must be a least upper bound since there was an upper bound to begin with.

I'm stuck again on part (b) though. I know that since inf(-A) exists, -sup(A) must exist as well. I don't know how to go about proving the Greatest Lower Bound Property from there though. I was thinking about using the Least Upper Bound Property somehow.

major_maths said:
Thanks! I got through part (a) by proving (A+B) must be nonempty and then proving that there was an upper bound in (A+B) since both A and B had upper bounds, using the Least Upper Bound Property to prove that there must be a least upper bound since there was an upper bound to begin with.

Yes, you proved that A+B has a least upper bound. But did you prove that sup(A)+sup(B) is that exact upper bound??

I'm stuck again on part (b) though. I know that since inf(-A) exists, -sup(A) must exist as well. I don't know how to go about proving the Greatest Lower Bound Property from there though. I was thinking about using the Least Upper Bound Property somehow.

You do need to prove the least upper bound property! Just transform the inf into a sup and use the least upper bound property.

Related to Real Analysis: Proving the Greatest Lower Bound Property

1. What is Real Analysis Problem?

Real Analysis Problem is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers and the functions defined on them. It involves the analysis of properties and relationships between these numbers and functions, using tools such as limits, continuity, differentiation, and integration.

2. How is Real Analysis different from other branches of mathematics?

Real Analysis differs from other branches of mathematics, such as algebra or geometry, in that it focuses on the study of real numbers and their properties. It also involves the use of rigorous mathematical proofs to establish theorems and results.

3. What are some common applications of Real Analysis?

Real Analysis has many applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used to solve problems related to optimization, differential equations, and complex systems, among others.

4. What are some key concepts in Real Analysis?

Some key concepts in Real Analysis include limits, continuity, differentiation, integration, sequences, and series. These concepts are essential in understanding the behavior and properties of real numbers and functions.

5. How can one improve their skills in Real Analysis?

To improve skills in Real Analysis, one can practice solving problems and proofs, read textbooks and other reference materials, and attend lectures or workshops. It is also helpful to discuss concepts with peers and seek guidance from a mentor or professor.