Real analysis:Showing a function is integrable

• Thread starter nlsherrill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, we are asked to show that f is integrable on [0,2] and calculate its integral. The lower integral of f is L(f) = 0 and the upper integral is U(f) = 2, which implies that U(f) = L(f) and the integral exists. The function is defined as f(x) = 1 for all values of x except for x=1, where it is equal to 0. This means that the length of every sub-interval goes to 0, and Mk is always 1 except for 1 subinterval where it is 0. Therefore, we can consider the interval containing 1 to be infinitely small, and the sum for
nlsherrill

Homework Statement

Let [itex]f:[0,2]-> R [/itex] be defined by[itex] f(x)= 1 [/itex] if [itex]x≠1[/itex], and [itex]f(1)= 0[/itex]. Show that [itex]f[/itex] is integrable on [itex][0,2][/itex] and calculate its integral

Homework Equations

Lower integral of f

[itex]L(f)= sup {(P;f): P \in P(I)} [/itex]

Upper integral of f

[itex]U(f)= inf {U(P;f): P \in P(I)} [/itex]

Where,

[itex]L(P;f)= \sum m_{k}(x_{k}-x_{k-1})[/itex][itex]U(P;f)= \sum M_{k}(x_{k}-x_{k-1})[/itex]And lastly, [itex]U(f)=L(f)[/itex] if the integral exists

The Attempt at a Solution

So it seems pretty obvious the integral is equal to 2, but I am not sure how to deal with this function at x=1. I tried splitting the interval up into sections, but it turns out partitions only work if the interval is closed and bounded on R, so I couldn't do any open interval stuff. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Given a partition, what can you say about Mk on every sub-interval? What about mk on every sub-interval except for 1?

Office_Shredder said:
Given a partition, what can you say about Mk on every sub-interval? What about mk on every sub-interval except for 1?

Mk is always 1, and so is mk except for 1 subinterval it will be 0

And the length of every sub-interval goes to 0.

The sub-intervals width depends on how large "n" is doesn't it? I don't see what you mean Halls of Ivy.

You're looking at the supremum and infimum over all partitions. Can you sumac partitions where the interval containing 1 had arbitrarily small length?

Office,

Are you saying that you could consider the interval containing 1 infintesimally small so that mk and Mk are zero on it? So this would be summing zero for the interval? I am not sure

Related to Real analysis:Showing a function is integrable

1. What is real analysis?

Real analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers and their properties, as well as the functions and sequences of real numbers.

2. How do you show that a function is integrable?

To show that a function is integrable, you can use various methods such as the Riemann integral, Lebesgue integral, or the Darboux integral. These methods involve evaluating the function over a specific interval and determining the area under the curve.

3. Why is it important to prove that a function is integrable?

Proving that a function is integrable is important because it allows us to calculate the area under the curve of the function, which has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. What are some common techniques used to show that a function is integrable?

Some common techniques used to show that a function is integrable include the use of partitions, the definition of a limit, the properties of integrals, and the use of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

5. Can all functions be proven to be integrable?

No, not all functions can be proven to be integrable. There are certain types of functions, such as discontinuous functions, that do not have a well-defined integral and therefore cannot be shown to be integrable.