Real Factor $(1-(ab+bc+ca))^2 + (a+b+c-abc)^2$

• MHB
  • Thread starter kaliprasad
  • Start date
In summary, the expression $(1-(ab+bc+ca))^2 + (a+b+c-abc)^2$ is a measure of the goodness of fit in real factor analysis, calculated by taking the squared difference between the observed data and the estimated data from the model. It cannot be negative and helps in interpreting the results and comparing different models. However, it is not the only measure of goodness of fit as other measures can also be used.
kaliprasad
Gold Member
MHB
Factor in real $(1-(ab+bc+ca))^2 + (a+b+c-abc)^2$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let \(\displaystyle l = (1-(ab+bc+ca))^2 + (a+b+c-abc)^2\).

Then by direct simplification one obtains

\(\displaystyle \begin{align*} l &= 1 - 2ab - 2ac - 2bc + a^2b^2 + a^2c^2 + b^2c^2 + 2ab^2c + 2a^2bc + 2abc^2 + a^2 + b^2 + c^2 \\
&\phantom{mmm}+ 2ab + 2ac + 2bc - 2a^2bc - 2ab^2c - 2abc^2 + a^2b^2c^2 \\
&= 1 + a^2b^2 + a^2c^2 + b^2c^2 + a^2 + b^2 + c^2 + a^2b^2c^2 \\
&= 1 + a^2 + a^2(b^2 + c^2) + b^2 + c^2 + b^2c^2(1 + a^2) \\
&= (1 + a^2)(1 + b^2 + c^2 + b^2c^2) \\
&= (1 + a^2)(1 + c^2 + b^2(1 + c^2)) \\
&= (1 + a^2)(1 + b^2)(1 + c^2) \end{align*}\).

My Solution

using $a^2+b^2 = (a+ib)(a-ib)$
we get $(1-(ab+bc+ca))^2 + (a+b+c-abc)^2 = ( 1 +(a+b+c) i - (ab+bc+ca) - abci)) ( 1 - (a+b+c) i - (ab+bc+ca) + abci))$
$= ( 1 +(a+b+c) i + (ab+bc+ca)i^2 + abci^3 )) ( 1 - (a+b+c) i + (ab+bc+ca)^2 - abci^3))$
$= ( 1 +ai)(1+bi)(1+ci)(1- ai)(1-bi)(1-ci)$
$= ( 1 +ai)(1-ai)(a+bi)(1- bi)(1+ci)(1-ci)$
$= ( 1 +a^2)(1+b^2)(1+c^2)$

Related to Real Factor $(1-(ab+bc+ca))^2 + (a+b+c-abc)^2$

1. What is the significance of the expression $(1-(ab+bc+ca))^2 + (a+b+c-abc)^2$ in real factor analysis?

The expression $(1-(ab+bc+ca))^2 + (a+b+c-abc)^2$ is a measure of the goodness of fit in real factor analysis. It represents the squared difference between the observed data and the estimated data from the model. A smaller value indicates a better fit of the model to the data.

2. How is the expression $(1-(ab+bc+ca))^2 + (a+b+c-abc)^2$ calculated in real factor analysis?

The expression $(1-(ab+bc+ca))^2 + (a+b+c-abc)^2$ is calculated by taking the squared difference between the observed data and the estimated data from the model, and then summing these squared differences across all variables. This sum is known as the sum of squared residuals.

3. Can the expression $(1-(ab+bc+ca))^2 + (a+b+c-abc)^2$ be negative in real factor analysis?

No, the expression $(1-(ab+bc+ca))^2 + (a+b+c-abc)^2$ cannot be negative in real factor analysis. This is because the squared difference between the observed data and the estimated data is always positive, and the sum of these squared differences cannot be negative.

4. How does the expression $(1-(ab+bc+ca))^2 + (a+b+c-abc)^2$ help in interpreting the results of real factor analysis?

The expression $(1-(ab+bc+ca))^2 + (a+b+c-abc)^2$ provides a measure of the overall fit of the model to the data. A smaller value indicates a better fit, and therefore, a more accurate interpretation of the relationships between variables in the model. It also helps in comparing the fit of different models to determine which one best explains the data.

5. Is the expression $(1-(ab+bc+ca))^2 + (a+b+c-abc)^2$ the only measure of goodness of fit in real factor analysis?

No, the expression $(1-(ab+bc+ca))^2 + (a+b+c-abc)^2$ is not the only measure of goodness of fit in real factor analysis. Other measures such as the root mean square error and the comparative fit index can also be used to evaluate the fit of a model to the data.